Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did they actually bother to check the cost of draining and filling

Haven't been there in years as I live in FL, but my family and I have definitely had some fun there. Sounds like some interested parties need to come forward and buy the park from the family to keep it as is. I'm sure the area doesn't need more storage buildings, or if they do, they can find another spot where there's not a body of water!
The number of new warehouse facilities that have been built in that area recently is unbelievable.

Where are we going to get a few thousand folks to pony up a grand? (pure guess on my part, but probably the order of magnitude)

Terrible news for the future of diving in this area. Gonna be tough for shops to survive and for new divers to be certified.

Did they actually bother to check the cost of draining and filling
Guess on my part, but they will build the warehouse on the existing land and then open it up as a clean fill site for the next several decades. Pretty much every quarry in the area is doing that when they stop extraction in a section.

Sad news. I have been diving at Dutch Springs since 1987. Before that there was a another diving quarry in the area. The Hamburg NJ Quarry (I got certified in 1976). In the early 80s they sold that Quarry to a condo developer and the built a bunch of condos around "the lake".. A few years ago was in the area and drove thru the development, the Quarry has since dried up and the condos are low rent. Very sad.

No real loss.

It is and always was an underwater amusement park. The stairway to heaven is kinda cool, so is the dynamite shack and mudhole. Oh well.

Put that up against the the back bays and real sea life.

No real loss.

It is and always was an underwater amusement park. The stairway to heaven is kinda cool, so is the dynamite shack and mudhole. Oh well.

Well sure but for training, it's an available site and now there won't be one.

No real loss.

I will disagree. I haven't been there, but I live close the ocean so why would I go 4 hours west for fresh water when the ocean sites are 1 to 1.5 hours. For the people who don't live near the ocean it provides a place they can dive.

These kinds of inland sites for invaluable for training. You don’t have to worry about getting blown out (except for really bad weather). It will be interesting to see how many dive shops might be affected by the closure.

It's just not cricket

0adf5df2f4eb7fe59f9eb54da65f96b23a1f4eec.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom