Extremely BAD News: Dutch Springs likely closing permanently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do all the gofundme's you want but it's hard to compete with these big warehouse-obsessed companies. I used to dive at the site out by Three Mile Island in Middletown (Harrisburg). Wonder if that quarry is still around and available. The three-eyed fish were amusing.

I can see this really affecting many area dive shops and instructors. This site serves not only Pennsylvania, but a lot of New York, Maryland and surrounding states. As a former limestone quarry, the water quality is generally very good, albeit the late summer algae bloom. The former quarry had to operate with a pumping system in place due to the natural spring continuously flooding the site. I can't see how it could be "filled" or used as some type of landfill. It is a very good operation with lots of training platforms at various depths, and some interesting items; jet, WWII era naval bomber, bus, countless boats etc. Any weekend from May through October the site is full of training classes. It is just a good place to go to hone skills with deep diving, cold, navigation and such. Hopefully, the dive site can be leased or somehow managed by the new owners.

• I I used dive Dutch back in the early 90s. The place was surrounded by woods and farmland. Now there are condo developments, malls, industrial parks. Back in the day at Dutch, the only place to eat was a greasy spoon diner 2 miles away,
  • I cant blame Stu (the owner), he could have sold the place 25 years ago for condo development. He is 75 and wants to cash out and retire. I pro-development, I just think we need to go about it in a more holistic way. This is a time where the local gov should come in and buy the Dutch Springs and turn it into a public park/green space.

I worry the same thing is going to happen in Florida Cave Country... just like Dutch Springs

This is a time where the local gov should come in and buy the Dutch Springs and turn it into a public park/green space.

Whats the cost? I wonder if the non diving locals would approve such with a likely tax increase resulting.

Sad news. I have been diving at Dutch Springs since 1987. Before that there was a another diving quarry in the area. The Hamburg NJ Quarry (I got certified in 1976). In the early 80s they sold that Quarry to a condo developer and the built a bunch of condos around "the lake".. A few years ago was in the area and drove thru the development, the Quarry has since dried up and the condos are low rent. Very sad.

I am going to do a podcast about the history of Dutch, anybody who wants opine send me email and tell us your "Dutch Springs stories" poddiver@gmail.com

Any one up for a Philly-50 kick starter campaign. 50M diving center, go for volume over depth. Buy some land out in the western suburbs and dig a really big hole. "If you dig it they will come."

Per my previous post, the similar dive site to Dutch Springs (near Harrisburg/Hershey) was called Bainbridge, I remember now. Went out of business years ago, but if it's still there and unused, could be a great business opportunity. Only about an hour and fifteen from Dutch, and better located for Maryland divers.

No real loss.

It is and always was an underwater amusement park. The stairway to heaven is kinda cool, so is the dynamite shack and mudhole. Oh well.

Put that up against the the back bays and real sea life.
Seriously?? It’s not meant to compete with that and you’re clearly missing the HUGE value it has for training in the area. It will be a major blow to the area.

Damn we received our ow certs there in 92

Back
Top Bottom