Extremely Nervous...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know, I used to get nervous too, but it sounds like you're not even going to enjoy the dive or your trip over concerned about your camera or stroble leaking.

Best way for you to enjoy the dive, leave your camera on the boat, or, just realize IT"S ONLY A CAMERA, and can be replaced or insured. Heck, I carry 2 housings and 3 cameras on trips now just as backups, so that is an option too.

BUT don't let these things ruin your vacation. Keep that in perspective.

Agree with Rocky. You're supposed to enjoy your vacation, if you are going to stress that much over the camera - to the point where you're saying you're not going to have fun - then maybe it's best to let the camera sit out the dive.

On the other hand, if you really want to capture those memories...you're going to have to relax a bit and realize that the camera can be replaced. Either way, it's YOUR vacation, so enjoy!

I prefer the tampon approach, but you've got to take it out of the plastic delivery system and cut off the string - then it just looks like a tube of gauze or cotton. :) I've had the same one in my D80 housing for two years. Nobody has ever noticed it, let alone guessed what it was without me telling them. Oh yeah, skip the "summer breeze" fresh scented ones, unless you like getting that fresh feeling when you open your housing after diving.

Edit: I bet that string could cause a flood if you weren't careful!

CheddarChick: Are you still using that Oly 350 that I purchased and sent to you a few years ago?

Or use a panty liner, it doesn't look at dorky.......

Hi- you can test the housing in your bathtub without the camera inside before traveling. After that test it in a tub of freshwater after closing the camera inside in ready to dive mode, before each dive. Also enclose a packet of silica gel to absorb moisture and keep the port from fogging. The silica gel can be recycled in a microwave at the lowest setting. You'll find that with good practice, the housings are pretty reliable as to leakage, until you get cocky and stop checking each time. (Murphy's Law)

A nice way to grease the o-ring without getting it hairy is to put it into a ziplok bag with a bit of o-ring grease. (if it's already dirty wash and dry it first) Spread the grease by massaging the bag, then leave it there until your ready to use it. I keep a spare that way so it's ready to use. When installing the o-ring do it with clean hands where there are no cats or other causes of contamination. I always close my housing in the kitchen or bathroom, which seems to have the best lighting and least dust.

Remember, you bought this to have fun, so don't get too overwrought about it. Be careful and thorough, but don't make yourself crazy.

i was like you when i first got my housing i was very nervous about taking it in the was because it cost more than my first car and could potentially end up as a very expensive paper weight. but i bought it for taking pictures and not for show and tell so here are seven very simple thing you should do to make it easier to get you new toy wet

5 thing to do to make it easer to get you new toy wet

1. get it insured i recommend DEPP
2. don't worry about it its insured now who care's if it gets flooded its insured
3. test it once and once only any thing more than that is futile
4. this is a biggy, don't i repeat don't leave it in the camera bucket!!!!!! dunk it and take it out and put it in a soft sided ices chest or rap it in a beach towel put it in your dive bag.
5. if you open the housing after it has been in the water take the o-ring out and then wipe it off re-greas and check the canal for any sand.
6. the tampon thing work great for any moisture left in the housing if you are having problems with fogging not so great for flooding though .
7. always wash you main o-ring after every dive trip and always bring grease and a nice lint free towel with so that if you need to open you housing in between dive you can wipe the o-ring and the canal in which it sits down and then re-grease (not recommended to open housing on the boat this is were bad thing usually happen)
8.this is the most important thing to remember, you bought it to have fun and take pictures with if it sits in a box than it was pointless to get it and remember if you did step one you don't have to worry about it as much any more.

I'm liking the numbers I am seeing from DEPP - but the webpage I am on cannot POSSIBLY be the DEPP webpage. It's like something some kid in high school wrote during computer class.

Innovative Programs Group, Inc. - Is that the DEPP site, for real? I'm kinda nervous to give this website my credit card, lol.

50 a year and 100 deduct for flooding. Sounds like a WAY better deal than H20 insurance. Theirs is 100 a year and 250 deduct for a flood.

350 if the camera floods, I paid 439.00 for it. Little ludicrous. And I suspect if the housing floods, the camera will be beyond repair, so a replacement is fine in my case, getting a cash check doesn't seem worth paying 3/4 of the cost of the original camera for insurance.

ya thats there web page it not the prettiest thing on the web but they have good customer serves at least the couple of times i have made claims with them i have over 10,000 dollar covered with them and it only cost about 300 a year. i just had one of my DS-200 flood about a week a ago and am in the process of having it fix so far every thing is going very smoothly. my recommendation is to give them a call if you have any questions this is the best way to get a hold of them. my recommendation is to insure both the camera and the housing but then just put flood on the camera and not the housing because the housing will be OK if it gets wet on the inside.

Would it be ok to "wash" the O-ring in a tub of fresh water to make absolutely sure it's clear of debris before lubing and seating it in the housing?

this is really all you need to do. If it is already lubed some, that will be plenty. Biggest mistake you could actually make is to put too much lube on as the lube will attract dust and lint and also make it easy for the o-ring to unseat itself.

Hold the o-ring under running water for a few seconds, gently gliding it through your finger tips (don't pull it). The dust will wash off, the water will bead up and the o-ring will dry quickly, no cloth or more lube necessary as the the lube didn't wash off in this process. Shake off any water drops (it doesn't need to be perfectly dry, just don't drip inside the housing), re-seat the o-ring, put in the camera, relax, and go dive!

And then show us your pictures!

Back
Top Bottom