F200 EXR wide angle lens options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjdavo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, i'm shooting with a Finepix F200EXR with the fuji housing and starting to get some good results. However, the time has come for me to branch out a bit and get some additional lenses, but i'm a bit stumped as far as wide angle goes.

There is the dedicated fantasea Bigeye lens whcih restores the cameras FOV as it is on dry land, but only gives a 60 degree field of vision so isnt close to anything wide angle and I'm looking around for options to fit a true wide angle lens.

Fantasea do an adaptor which allows a 67mm threaded attachment, but the issue is that this is camera has a 28mm lens and all wide angle lenses except the inon AD28 are designed to work with 35mm cameras. the inon AD28 lens is specifically for 28mm cameras, but has a special AD28 beyonette connection. (!)

does anyone have any advice / experience with this?
thanks
Phil.

PJDAVO... which wide angle is the best or works the best with a specific camera is a big debate issue...

If you get the 67mm adapter, you can use any of the ones designed for 35 mm, just zoom the camera out to 35 mm.

How well they work somewhat depends on how close the lens is to the front glass (with closer being better).

Not sure on that camera/case how far the lens moves (which sort of defines how far out the case has to extend)...

Not sure where you are located, but it would be nice to try a lens first (after getting the 67mm adapter and see how well it works...might work really well.

The 67 would also allow you to use wet macro lens, so it can be very useful...

I seriously doubt you can mount wide angle lenses to that camera. The Inon adapter per their fit chart is suitable for macro only and the 67mm Fantasea adapter most likely is also only suitable for macro because it will place the lens well forward of the port.

You can zoom with some cameras from 28mm to 35mm but the lens has to be mounted very close to the port to minimize separation of the camera lens and wet lens.

You best choice is to ditch that camera and get something like the, never mind, oh well ( like the S90 with FIX housing will mount and use nearly all wet lenses of all types, wide, ultra wide and macro, 28mm, 35mm any and all and use them all effectively).

Or, buy the lens and adapter and report back on how well it worked or did not work.

Not all cameras and housings can be fitted with wide angle lens or even any wet lens, one should research that before investing in a camera and housing if it is important to you.

Good luck.

N

Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated!

i reckon you're right about not being able to fit a wide angle lens to the housing, the lens moves quite a bit when it zooms and can be a fair distance from the port so think that would be an issue... Lesson learned i think! I may still invest in the Fantasea Bigeye lens and see how that goes, but it only gives around a 68 degree FOV so may not be worth the cash.

If anyone has any experience with it then comments would be much appreciated.

Im in melbourne so need to buy a dry suit for the winter and get used to that, also got a backplate and wing on my shopping list :D so a new camera may have to wait for a bit! :uwphotographer:

(the old camera could be a nice present for my girlfriend when i get a new one tho! :) ...)

The problem with the Bigeye lens is that some people have reported internal fogging when diving in cold waters with the lens too warm. This could be controlled by bringing the lens temperature down slowly say in a refrigerator and then keeping it cold in a cooler before diving. The lens being too cold is unlikely unless you freeze it.
The lens uses a air gap between the glass elements and the warm air inside can condense when the glass is cooled by the water. If the internal air were colder than the water condensation couldn't form inside. Maybe in the future Fantasea will make this lens gas sealed with an inert gas inside to keep this from happening.

RAWalker and others. This has been addressed ad nauseum elsewhere. The lenses do not fog unless there is a leak - and that is covered by warranty. They are plastic lenses, not glass. They are susceptible to flare from sun and strobes.

I did a very comprehensive test and photos with the FXF-200 and BE, report is on my blog (and elsewhere on SB). I took one out of an icewater bath and put it into a hot tub without any fog. And repeated it - back and forth. And dove it in 48F water after being in the hot sun - no fog.

To the OP. I think the lens is a good bit of kit for the OEM housing. I had a ball shooting it, you just need to be aware of it's limitations.

Jack

RAWalker and others. This has been addressed ad nauseum elsewhere. The lenses do not fog unless there is a leak - and that is covered by warranty. They are plastic lenses, not glass. They are susceptible to flare from sun and strobes.

I did a very comprehensive test and photos with the FXF-200 and BE, report is on my blog (and elsewhere on SB). I took one out of an icewater bath and put it into a hot tub without any fog. And repeated it - back and forth. And dove it in 48F water after being in the hot sun - no fog.

To the OP. I think the lens is a good bit of kit for the OEM housing. I had a ball shooting it, you just need to be aware of it's limitations.

Jack

Jack has it dead on...not bad unless you have a leak. Just really sucked to get one.

Actually, it seems to work as well as several other similar type lens, with the advantage of mounting.

Jack, enjoyed reading your review/experiences with F200 and BE lens. I bought this camera last summer as an intro unit to u/w photography for me. Looked to be a high quality camera for the money and I have been happy so far. I was not ready to invest in a different unit and housing that were more expensive at the time because I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy u/w photography. I would love to see someone try the 67mm adapter and Inon UWL-100 lens to see how it works with this housing.

Some of my photos with just the camera and housing are posted on SB for comparison.

Hi Jack, many thanks for the feedback, i was more wondering whether i'd be better off buying a new setup which could accept proper wide angle lenses (e.g the inon) or if the F200 with a big eye would be ok for now. the field of view seems to be pretty tight still even with the bigeye so i was just after someone who had experience using them.

In your opinion how does the bigeye lens with the F200 compare to using a camera which can accept a wide angle lens which offers a field of view closer to the inon?

is it worth spending more money on the set up of the F200? or would i be better off starting again?!

cheers
Phil

Last edited:
ImUrPropofol: The 67mm adapter and any 67mm w/a lens will vignette according to Fantasea's tests. I don't think it's worth it.

pjdavo: IMHO, the Fuji's are a KILLER macro camera - certainly one of the best sensors and lens combo's out. The Fantasea W/A degrades the quality of the shots, but certainly is an ok answer, and is fairly easy on the budget. If you're really looking to shoot high-quality w/a then I'd look at another, more expensive option - mainly because the Fuji's housing is lower-end.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom