Fa&Mi Torch Charger contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riordan.d

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Fa-Mi scuba Rechargeable torch (EVO 60-18) that I have had for about 5 years is still good after maybe 300 dives, but the charger that came with it was in trouble. The lead contacts became corroded over time, so badly that they no longer fitted the torch well enough to make a good contact (my fault: I wasn't cleaning the back of the torch and drying after use so salt water was probably present in the torch socket causing electrolytic corrosion). I really like the torch but it just wasn't charging any more. The solution I found was surprisingly inexpensive: less then 10 euros. The contact on the charger lead end is called a 'gold plated banana plug' and a right angle adaptor can be sourced in the UK and Ireland from branches of an electronic hobbyist store chain called Maplin. The type to get is the one that has a female connector drilled right through, just above and at right angles to the banana plug. There is a gripper inside that can be tightened against the cleaned up corroded plug end to form a new good connection. The old plug is held in place by turning a knob at the top end. Doesn't require any soldering. I posted this because it took me a few torch-less months to discover this solution. Hopefully it helps anyone else with the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom