Faber MP-120 tanks on TDL...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

Every 5-6 weeks or so, i end up getting drawn into the idea of getting myself some tanks. So, today, im just looking around and i see an extremely good deal on the Faber MP (3180+) 120 steels on TDL, for $300 (including shipping to my door). These are the ones with the empty bouyancy of -7 lbs or so.

I currently dive Monterey in a trilam drysuit, bp/w using a LP95 rental, and need 24lbs of lead to get me down. I like being all snug as a bug, so i keep the suit topped up a little and have big undies. No biggy. From my current rental tank, id be able to drop 5-6 lbs from the weight belt, plus go up a fair amount of cuft. Im 5 foot 7 inch tall and average build. My average dive lasts about 50-60 minutes at the 40-60 foot range on the 95. Im guessing im actually going to get some benefit from the Nitrox cert if i get this tank.

So thats the background. My question is- is this tank going to do all sorts of nasty things to my trim? Ive seen a couple of post saying that this tank is suited more to taller people and that they can be a little unwieldy. How many people here use these tanks? Do you actually feel the difference in having the 5lbs off the weight belt and on your back?

I usually only get half involved in lloking for tanks, telling myself ill maybe buy if the price is right...well, the price is definately right, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Those tanks are really negative. You could probably take 8lbs off and still be ok, all else being equal (same dive profile as before). With dives in the 40-60 ft range you *might* be able to get two dives out of one tank.

I have one HP120, but two HP100's. The 120 is a little too tall for me, and I'm 5'10". Trim isn't a problem, but feeling the tank hit my butt feels strange. I suppose I could get used to it, but with a bunch of tanks in the garage to choose from, the 120 just sits there.

Nitrox is a great idea. 32% will increase your NDL time by 50%.

Cheers for the reply.

I really like the idea of getting that much weight off the belt and onto my back. Hmm, never thought about the extra 4 inches to be honest- not sure ive ever felt a tank hit my butt, so im not sure how annoying it would be. Thats a long tank, at almost 29inches, minus valve. about 34-35 with the valve? Pity i couldnt get my hands on one to have a proper feel.

However, at that price, im still strongly considering it.

cheers for the info.

I already have the nitrox cert, just havent noticed any real benefit from it so far in terms of increased NDL since my consumption is still a little high... im almost pushing NDLs before i empty the tank, but not quite.

I've dove the Faber 100's 3180 with a + fill and find them very heavy. They are great tanks and I prefer them over the aluminium 80's which is what I trained in my OW classes.

MG

...kinda funny...over on the OMS WWW site there's a big announcement saying they will no longer sell Fabers as of Jan 2008....and it gives a long list of all the reasons Fabers suck !

Karl

This may be true, also it may not.
It could also be that faber is bringing in cylinders and selling thru their own distributor network. The last 2 tanks that I got were born on 06-07 , and I got them on 08-07.
I have 5 fabers, and have not had any problems with rust. My oldest Fabers were born on 10-98, and no rust to date.
Jim Breslin

Faber MP (3180+) 120 steels ?

Buy 'em.

I like my Steel LP Faber 95, but keep kicking myself that I didnt go with a LP 108.

Ah, anything is better than AL80's...those tanks are evil.

I dive a Faber mp100....greatest tank. I dropped 10lbs off my belt becuase I used to dive an AL80. I looked at the 120's and it was a bit too tall for my liking. Last time I dove with my buddy(he dives the fx80) people started to notice how little lead we were carrying-"This Dive Brought to you by FABER!" you cant go wrong with TDL and Faber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom