Facebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been a long time user of internet forums like ScubaBoard. I've watched most of them die over the years as people have migrated to Facebook. Luckily, this forum is alive and well. As for Facebook, I use it in a particular way. Not registered with a my real name, no "friends" (just like real life :p) and am a member of closed groups, mainly related to local fishing and diving activities. I've noticed the number of ads and "suggested posts" has gone through the roof of late to the point that it's no longer usable to my mind. On the desktop platform, the FBP Chrome extension has solved this problem. Is there anything that can be done with the mobile app or is there an alternative app? As a point of wider discussion, am I the only person that finds Facebook really irritating? While I accept that advertising is a reality of a "free" service, I can't see their current model being sustainable in the long term.

I have been a long time user of internet forums like ScubaBoard. I've watched most of them die over the years as people have migrated to Facebook. Luckily, this forum is alive and well. As for Facebook, I use it in a particular way. Not registered with a my real name, no "friends" (just like real life :p) and am a member of closed groups, mainly related to local fishing and diving activities. I've noticed the number of ads and "suggested posts" has gone through the roof of late to the point that it's no longer usable to my mind. On the desktop platform, the FBP Chrome extension has solved this problem. Is there anything that can be done with the mobile app or is there an alternative app? As a point of wider discussion, am I the only person that finds Facebook really irritating? While I accept that advertising is a reality of a "free" service, I can't see their current model being sustainable in the long term.
Click the 3 little dots, report the ad as offensive, after a day of work you can gain a period of time that you don’t see any ads, replete as needed.

I see mostly car crashes, actors, and animals doing silly things now. Now only about 10% are from people who are friends. I have tried using Not Relevant, offensive, etc and that works for a short while. When Facebook's algorithm and marketing kick in, it's just a new set of garbage. If they don't change, it will be their end.
I do however rely on local pages for small businesses in Mexico/Cozumel since that is usually their only business listing and unfortunately one of their few marketing outlets. It is easier and less costly than webpages.

It is easier and less costly than webpages.
And a big mistake as more and more companies prevent access to facebook on corporate networks, like my employer.

Even though accessible from home computer or cellphone, most otherwise 'useful' posts are seen AFTER I have missed the event.

To answer my own question. The "Friendly" app on mobile devices is a good workaround. After fiddling with the settings, I now only see posts from groups that I follow. It also has the messages aspect of Facebook, so you can delete the Facebook app and the stupid Messenger app. I don't understand why they separated the two in the first place, but whatever, they are both deleted and I have a good alternative.

I don't really mind the ads. After all, that's how it is free. Sometimes that ads are even interesting items I would not have heard about otherwise. As mentioned above, if an ad or "sponsor" becomes too repetitive, there are way to turn that off via the ellipses menu so that you stop seeing those ads.

But with that said, I have stopped posting entirely myself. I find that social media brings out the absolute worst in many people. People post things they would never say to a person's face and act in ways completely differently than they do in person. It can bring out the bully in some people. They are probably the minority, but their voice is magnified on social media.

I now use Facebook it to keep track of our kids, local diving conditions, and other local topics of interest. Essentially, I use it as a resource, but I don't consider myself an "active" participant any longer. I have not joined any other social media platform because simply, I don't need that #@&^%* in my life. I'm not on Instagram, Twitter/X, Snapchap, Tiktok, etc. My life is richer as a result.

stupid Messenger app

I use the Messenger app all the time but with a limited scope. My wife and I will send each other posts we want the other to see. Essentially a DM. That prevents us from posting "out in the open" for others to see and comment upon. We also do that with our daughters. Essentially using it as you would any other messaging app. We don't use any other messaging app (apart form iMessage on our iPhones) so Messenger serves a useful purpose for us. As to why did Facebook separate it from the app? For this exact reason. It can be used as a stand-alone messaging app assuming the other person does have a Facebook account.

I go through my feed and turn off every ad which cleans it up for 1-2 weeks at which point I do housecleaning again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom