Failure of 1985 Bauer Varius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have owned this compressor for 10 years an just yesterday when filling my 105 doubles, as soon as the pressure reaches 2000 psi, it started to leak though the nuts which hold the 3rd stage head in place. I opened it and found no evidence of the cause, neither could understand why the high pressure escapes through the nuts.

A similar failure on my Coltri MCH6 was caused by wear on the 4th stage cylinder, but the air leak would go into the compressor block, increase the internal pressure and cause the oil stick to pop off. It doesn't happen to my varius, although I could see some very light wear marks on the 3rd stage piston. But again, why is that the air escapes through the nuts on the cylinder head, I can't tell. Any one knows?

Thanks.

The Coltri and Bauer are very much different designs so i doubt the causes of this symptom would be identical.

On the Bauer, check the o-ring seal around the exhaust valve of the 3rd stage. Also, be positive the leak is at the nuts and not some other origin. Pics of the area in question could be of help in diagnosing.

There is no gasket between the cylinder and the head on the 3rd stage. Neither there is an oring between the valve and the head. It is a metal/metal seat for both and there has never been a leak before.

I would start by making sure that suction and delivery valves are funtioning correctly, simply take the cylinder head off and and suck, yes suck on the inlet valve. You souldn't be able to suck air through it. Do the same with the discharge valve but blow into it, you shouldn't be able to blow air through it. These are one way valves so air should only go in one direction If any of these test show a failed valve, replace it.
During reassembly make sure the surfaces are clean and apply a very thin coat of high temp. sealant. Torque the head down using a criss cross sequance. On more thing have a good look at the cylinder head for any cracks.
Let us know how you male out.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom