Faith diving and magic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its good that you have learned from the experience, would have to be someone with a short memory to admit they had never done something similar early in their dive career.

More training never hurts, and despite what you may feel about it, technical training at the base level gives a good insight into the workings of decompression diving. Even when doing a recreational dive i tend to take both my recreational computer (suunto stinger), and my VR3 on deeper dives, or where i'm diving extended days. Its often interesting to see the people who think they are doing safe ascents, staring at me as i go up the line past them on the deep section, and then have them climb all over me on the shallower sections. I tend to follow the Suunto for NDL, and then ascent using the VR3. A smooth ascent following good protocol generally allows you to skip the safety stop on a non deco dive, although it never hurts to wait that extra 3 mins.

I'm thinking about how I'd react to a relatively inexperienced DM (less than 50 dives) who instructed me to stay "above" him on a dive. Why is he requesting this?

Just wondering how you are defining DM here? I'm not aware of many agencies that will certify a DM less than 50 dives. :idk:

halemanō;5783973:
Just wondering how you are defining DM here? I'm not aware of many agencies that will certify a DM less than 50 dives. :idk:
I meant to say "less than 50 dives acting as a DM."

There's a difference between being an experience diver and being an experienced divemaster.

@tesnusxenos: Depending on the experience level of the divers in your group, you may want to revise this part of your pre-dive briefing. Although it may work well for novice divers who have no idea how to plan a dive (gas, depth, etc.), I could see more experienced divers being a little put off by such a recommendation.

Best of luck with the rest of your DM training...

Actually none were wearing computers. If some people are wearing computers I request that anyone not wearing a computer stay above me. I see very, very few people who actually plan their dives. They just follow their DM.
In Cozumel DM's actually tell people to ignore their computers when diving the Devils Throat. I saw lots of people without computers who just followed their DM and never questioned that they were diving beyond the tables......I also saw them making 4 trips to the chamber during a two week trip:(

halemanō;5787189:
Still seems that some DM's have more than 1,000 dives before they became DM's... :confused:
There's a difference between being an experience diver and being an experienced divemaster.
@halemanō: I have to agree with Karibelle. From what I've seen and heard, working as a DM is very different from logging lots of dives on your own in a recreational capacity.
I see very, very few people who actually plan their dives. They just follow their DM.
@tesnusxenos: This is fairly consistent with what I've observed, too. Sad but true. During a pre-dive briefing on a dive boat at an unfamiliar site, I'm usually the guy asking the DM a lot of detailed questions about the topography of the site.
In Cozumel DM's actually tell people to ignore their computers when diving the Devils Throat. I saw lots of people without computers who just followed their DM and never questioned that they were diving beyond the tables......I also saw them making 4 trips to the chamber during a two week trip:(
Wow. Devil's Throat is what most would consider an "advanced" dive. One would hope that a person doing that dive would have some awareness of narcosis, proper gas management, the effect of time/pressure on nitrogen loading, and contingency deco procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom