Fakarava or Moorea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve532

New
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to French Polynesia next month. We chose this because of the great diving and it is much easier to get there from the West coast of the US than other diving locations off the East coast. We like sharks and I definitely want to dive Rangiroa. Problem is that we are limited by time and only have 9 days for vacation. We are OK with short trips as it is hard to get away for longer. I would hate to go all that way and not try out one other island. Making sure that we are not diving too close to flying, we could most likely dive 2 days in Rangiroa and 2 days in Fakarava or 2-3 days in Moorea (I believe there is a ferry between Tahiti and Moorea so that may allow for an extra day of diving). It seems that Fakarava is outstanding diving but it is farther from Tahiti than Moorea, has less to do topside and has fewer lodging options (most seem pretty basic). So, can anyone help me decide if the diving is that much better in Fakarava than Moorea to offset the other benefits of Moorea? For the sake of the discussion ignore cost (I haven't gotten that far yet), skill level required, etc.. Thanks.

I am also up for suggestions for other locations that we could do off the West coast of the US in a short time instead of FP. We already dove Palau.

Also, I realize Hawaii would have been a great option from the West coast but we have gone diving there a few times is the past and are looking for something new.

So where did you end up going? I am going to Rangiroa in December and I am curious to hear back from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom