fakarava / rangiroa - differences and similarities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been to Rangiroa, considering going to Fakarava now.

For those who know, what are the similarities and what are the differences.

Stayed at the Kia Ora in Rangiroa dived with 7 passengers. We would be looking at 7-8 days of diving.

I did both places.Similarities: both places have 2 passes. Mostly you dive with incoming current. Species are similar. Differences: in Rangiroa you have more chance to dive with dolphinsFakarava: corals are in a better shape, you see more sharks than in Rangiroa. Rangiroa and Fakarava North are deep +50m. Fakarava south is max. 30 meters and the pass is narrower. So you have another experience to view the sharks. In North Fakarava you have very nice canyons like Ali Baba, packed with fish.I liked both places but I found Fakarava slightly more spectacular.

How about accommodations? Fakarava is looking a bit... shall I say primitive?

I agree with what has been said. I was there for 2 1/5 weeks. With 7 days, I would go to both North and South Fakarava. Yes, especially in the south, the accomodation are a bit "primitive" for americans. But really worth it :)

We stayed at the Havaiki Pearl Lodge in North Fakarava. It was very nice. Great bungalows right on the beach with air con and fantastic views! Food was delicious. The south is definitely more primitive.

Can you stay north and dive both north and south and vice versa or do you typically have to stay north to dive north and stay south to dive south?

@Kali-girl. Same hotel, same great experience.

@mmmbelows. It is technically possible to stay in the north and do both. However I would not recomment it at all for two reasons.
First, the boat ride takes about 2 hours one way with a speed boat WEATHER PERMITTING and I doubd that a diveboat would take less time. If the lagoon is wavy, forget about your 2 hours.
Secondly, the dive center at the pass is changing dive times every days. This is done in function of the tides that day. You clearly want to dive at slack or incoming tides.

The place in the south is "out of this world" . SO isolated. But you have wonderful little bungalows on the beach, electricity ( only one plug per room ) bathroom and shower, fan and mosquito net. The only thing, for my part, that could be better is no Airco. But in February, when we came, it was very OK without it and the mosquitos were not a burden. I would sleep 3 night max there. If you go make sure that you book your room @ the dive center, not on the island 1/2 mile away from it, except if you love to be REALLY away from everything.

Frgot to mention that food was delicious. Not the same as the pearl but very tasty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom