FALL DOWN GO BOOM IN BONAIRE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove bonaire about 3 years ago (just pre-pandemic) with my wife, both of us in drysuits and ccr's. We dove both al80s and al40s as bailout through the trip. Yes, the walk can be slippery in spots. I also read the post about needing a trekking pole and was concerned. We were perfectly fine. Use your buddy as a helper (hold each other's arm or shoulder for support) or just use your bo tank. If it gets slippery stand the tank up and you got something to steady yourself with. Trekking pole 100% unnecessary.

I will say ccr diving bonaire is where its at. People would do an hour dive max. We were doing 3-4 hours dives hitting multiple dive sites back to back. It was very nice doing one long dive and not a bunch of short dives.

I am 77 years old, and still diving Oregon rivers. When I get into a slippery situation exiting the rivers, I use the mountaineers technique of thee points of contact, using rocks as handholds, and leaning over. Sometimes I even crawl out until i get to dry rock.

Having never dived a Bonaire, I do not know the exit conditions. But if it is slick, and you aren’t exiting from deeper water but have to walk out, I would endorse use of the trekking pole. These poles, which my wife and I sometimes use when hiking, and i used in the recent snowstorm, provide a reliable third point of contact whereas a pony bottle does not.

Now, about the concept of three points of contact; we have two arms and two legs. By having three points of contact, if one slips, you still have two for balance. Mountaineers take it further when rock or snow and ice climbing; they use four points of contact, and move one at a time (move a hand for a new handhold, move a foot up to a new foot hold, etc.). That way they always have three points of contact.

‘Hope this helps.

SeaRat

PS, the guys saying that you don’t need the pole are probably not in their 70s. :wink:

It's hard for me to imagine how to use a cane on shore dives. I have my camera in one hand, and my fins in the other. In Hawaii and Florida I also manage to carry our dive flag. No need for this in Bonaire, but still pretty challenging at a glance.
It's not hard. Your fins don't need to be in your hands; they can be around your wrist(s) or hung from a chest d-ring with a carabiner or fin-carrier strap. Especially with a camera I don't want to fall!

May not look like much but this moonscape has lots of dents and holes and chasms and stuff

034.JPG

with most dudes using these sticks, as that's where they're going, and that's what they're doing

and you never ever even contemplate putting fins around your wrists best way to snap them off

If there is some distance to tackle its fins straps over first stage, mask and gloves and stuff inside
with wetsuit top through chest strap, for the arms to to lean on, if you begin to reach exhaustion

At your destination gear up, then fins through chest strap, mask in hand for dipping and spitting
walking watch the swell, then mask on face and headfirst in, pull yourself to the bottom, don fins

"That's diving folks"

I am 77 years old, and still diving Oregon rivers. When I get into a slippery situation exiting the rivers, I use the mountaineers technique of thee points of contact, using rocks as handholds, and leaning over. Sometimes I even crawl out until i get to dry rock.

Having never dived a Bonaire, I do not know the exit conditions. But if it is slick, and you aren’t exiting from deeper water but have to walk out, I would endorse use of the trekking pole. These poles, which my wife and I sometimes use when hiking, and i used in the recent snowstorm, provide a reliable third point of contact whereas a pony bottle does not.

Now, about the concept of three points of contact; we have two arms and two legs. By having three points of contact, if one slips, you still have two for balance. Mountaineers take it further when rock or snow and ice climbing; they use four points of contact, and move one at a time (move a hand for a new handhold, move a foot up to a new foot hold, etc.). That way they always have three points of contact.

‘Hope this helps.

SeaRat

PS, the guys saying that you don’t need the pole are probably not in their 70s. :wink:
Thank you John, very helpful information. As said, this will be my first time in Bonaire. I don't think that "slick is the problem", but it is the loose jagged ironshore (dead coral) of various sizes, that will shift under your feet ! Add to this, over a 100 lbs. of CCR and bailout bottles, and my progressing poor balance, a trekking pole would surely help !

Perspective of falling with 80 pounds of gear while shore diving to a young healthy person is "Wow that was embarrassing".

Perspective of an older person or one with joint or orthopedic issues is "This could be a diving vacation or career altering or ending event".

There is a direct relationship to appreciating a shore diving trekking pole to age.

Question for folks toting poles: What brands/styles work/have held up best in the salt/sand? 🧂

'See that they make Sand & Mud Baskets1679765168943.png

Most trekking poles have aluminum shafts and aluminum locking mechanisms. More expensive ones have carbon fiber shafts. As they are going to be in salt water both are going to take a beating. Flip locks would be preferred over twist lock. On land, I have used poles from Leki for decades. I would suggest inexpensive poles like these: Journey Lite. After each use I would take each pole apart and rinse really well.

I have used these poles on 2 Bonaire trips. As I said above collapses into 3 pieces, bungees to Right shoulder strap of BCD harness. One pole has lasted 2 trips, I haven't used the other pole yet.

No buddy input needed.

Agree with the point above avoid poles that "twist", the mechanism will get gunked up with sand.

You can find these poles on Amazon also.

Edit: I think the little plastic baskets fell off or broke off and don't hold up well going through the rocks and ironshore. I don't think they are needed for packed sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom