Fantasea A6500 M16 Accessory Port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grumply

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

My first post here, I've been lurking for a while but am finally ready to jump in.

Black Friday and interest-free financing made the whole thing possible - so I've just splurged on my first proper underwater setup. I've gone with an A6500 paired with the Fantasea housing and ports. I had to toss and turn over whether to go with the 16-50mm paired with wet lenses, or spend the extra and get dedicated lens and ports. In the end, the costs were close enough that I figured I'd regret not getting a proper setup, so I went the lenses + ports route.

So the rest of the kit is made up of the Sony 10-18mm f/4, Sony 50mm f/2.8 macro, and 20mm pancake + fisheye adapter, Fantasea FA-2 LED strobe trigger, Sealife flex-connect arms and tray (that'll I'll be pairing with some Ikelite DS161 strobes borrowed from my dad, until my credit card's recovered enough to get some strobes of my own).

On the whole, I think it'll make a really comprehensive kit, that should do just about everything I'd have been able to do with the Nauticam setup (if I'd had the extra dosh for that). The last piece of the puzzle is a vacuum valve/leak detection system (that I want to install via the Fantasea housing's M16 accessory port).

Now the Fantasea A6500 housing does have a moisture detector, which is great, but having used the vacuum valve/leak detector system with the Nauticam D800 setup, I really want that added peace of mind (especially since it's MY gear on the line now!).

The Vivid Leak Sentinel v5 seems to be the only vacuum valve I can find with an integrated leak detection system. And it offers a "Nauticam M16" connection. However the guys at Bluewater have told me that the "Nauticam M16" connection for the Leak Sentinel isn't compatible with the M16 port on the Fantasea housing for some reason. :mad:

Now I'm not sure what the point of having an M16 standard is, if manufacturers don't all stick to them. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the M16 port on the Fantasea housing? And can share any information you have on what is and what isn't actually compatible with the port on the Fantasea.

It'd be a huge help.

Cheers,

Mark

@Grumply welcome to Scuba Board. It looks like you have built a very nice set-up for yourself. Congratulations. Another company that you might want to check with regarding compatibility of the vacuum system would be Mozaik. One of their owners has dove with the A6500 in the FantaSea housing extensively and has written a review on it here. Shortly after you get to their website, a chat window will open up. Ask to speak to Ran. He will guide you to what will work.

Sorry I can't help you, but I'm sure that Ran can answer any questions that you have.

Edited to add: Another source of info might be to contact Vivid Housings directly and ask them any questions that you have.

Last edited:
Thanks Hoag,

Fantasea, Vivid and Kelli at Bluewater seem to have got to the bottom of this for me. The first batch of Fantasea A6500 housings have an M16 port which isn't compatible with "Nauticam" M16 accessories, but they've since revised the design so that newer units are compatible, and they've made an adapter that will make the older units compatible too.

So I just need to wait until my housing arrives to confirm whether I need the adapter or not. The good news is that, either way, I should be able to make the Vivid Leak Sentinel v5 fit.

Cheers

Thanks Hoag,

Fantasea, Vivid and Kelli at Bluewater seem to have got to the bottom of this for me. The first batch of Fantasea A6500 housings have an M16 port which isn't compatible with "Nauticam" M16 accessories, but they've since revised the design so that newer units are compatible, and they've made an adapter that will make the older units compatible too.

So I just need to wait until my housing arrives to confirm whether I need the adapter or not. The good news is that, either way, I should be able to make the Vivid Leak Sentinel v5 fit.

Cheers
I'm glad to see your post here...I was pulling my hair out trying to use a Nauticam adaptor on my FA6500 M16 port and the threads aren't matching up!! Do I have to contact Fantasea direct to get the new adaptor or do you have another source...I really want to connect my strobes through the bulkhead for faster recycling time. Any information you might be able to share would be appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom