Fantasea G16 housing--what Ike tray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver1961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everyone!

Just bought a new G16 and housing and I'm toiling over the tray..... I like the IKE quick release handle because I like to carry the rig by that....it feels solid. I don't like the T1 connectors on the fantasea tray for the strobe as its not a solid carry. Prob shouldn't carry it this way but I do :) I just called IKE and they aren't sure if tray 9523.63/9523.61 will accommodate the fantasia housing.

Anyone using this set up?

I want no rotation which is something I have had to deal with in the past. I cannot tell from the pics if my housing will sit secure/and or screw in two different places which I feel would make it secure. How do I know?

Thanks for any advice!

I believe there are three holes on the bottom of the Fantasea G16 housing like they have on the RX100 housings and the G7X housing. The Ikelite tray 9523.63 is large enough to accommodate the G16 housing. The only problem is that the holes on the Ikelite tray will only line up with one hole on the housing, so spinning could be an issue. The other thing to note is that the hardware used by Ikelite is different than the thread on the Fantasea housing, so you would need the additional hardware. You could build an Ultralight tray to accomplish what you want or you could use a Nauticam Flexitray II. The both would be strong and large enough to handle your rig.

Yes! Three holes!

I have not heard of Nauticam...looking at it online it looks great however does it accommodate the quick release?

As far as I know the Ikelite quick release handle is the only one that works as a quick release. The Ultralight tray and the Nauticam Tray are used with 1 inch balls or locline flex arms.

We have many trays and arm packages that will work. The only other way than the Ike is to use flex arms with a T1 connector. We do have a I-DAS handle that accepts the T1. This can be used with any tray that accepts a 3/8" bolt.

But most people don't like flex arms, as they really are either too flexible, or not flexible enough for strobes with their weight and positioning.

I like it simple. Ive always used these because there isn't a lot of brain work involved assembling/disassembling.

I would be interested in the I-DAS handle, can I find these on your site?

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom