Fantasy Island Questions: Babysitting & Drinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maya'sMim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New to this board, but my hubbie Driftin'by has been a member for some time.

We just found a great deal on both airfare and hotel if stay at Fantasy Island. We were hoping to do Coz again, but this deal is too good to pass up, especially since our daughter is still young enough to sit on our laps and we can avoid paying for another air ticket!

We will be bringing our then 20 month old with us and will have to rely on the babysitting services while diving. Has anyone stayed at FI with kids and used the hotel's babysitting services? I would love to hear feedback on how it went, if you felt the kids were safe, was there a language barrier, etc.

I understand that cocktails are not included at this AI. Can anyone give me an idea of prices for beer and wine at the resort? Are sodas & tea included? Is bottled water supplied without add'l cost?

The Malaria discussions I've read are a bit scary. We've never taken anti malaria meds during our 7 trips to the Yucatan peninsula. Is Roatan much different? Seems like the CDS ranks these two areas as comparable risk.

We're used to smaller dive ops in the Yucatan. Are the boats at FI more like cattle boats?

We haven't booked yet, but it looks like we will be there mid May, traveling from Houston. Are there any other divers with kids planning to stay at FI during this time? Other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PM one of these guys: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=178659

There is no safety issue with children- they will take care of them as if they were their own. You might even do well to hire a private nanny for the week- wouldn't be much.

The only thing - something I always add- you're not in Kansas anymore. There is essentialy no medical assistance available and evac flights are lengthy to arrange.

The FIBR boats are of a local design and perfectly suited for the South Shore. Sometimes they run into problems by seemingly overloading the boats with too many divers- this can result in the cattle boat feeling by some deffinitions. They may load the boat to capacity, but again- it depends on what you define as cattle boat. They are not six packs.

I have a bit of a different view on small kids being taken there, don't. They are much safer at home being taken care of by grandma or someone like that. The no-see-ums will eat them alive if repellant is not constantly put on and not washed off. The threat of malaria is real. We have met people less than a mile from where you are talking about that had malaria at that time.

This is just my opinion, not meaning to tell others what to do.

The malaria threat is VERY real - I know of at least a dozen cases of tourists getting it.
The way fantasy is layed out there is really no place out side where the "no-see-ms" won't eat them alive..... Hell I don't even bring my Yorkie when I stay for month's at time cause I know she'll get eaten alive - I'm sure you think as much of your child as I do of my dog.....................................

I would personally not recomend anybody taking a child younger then 8 to the island.. and at present I would have to think long and hard about even that.........

That's just my opion I could be wrong............

Hi,

I was at FI in AUgust 2006. Our AI included ice tea from a pitcher at lunch time, soda was about $1.50 (maybe $2.00?).

Soda at dinner time was sometimes included as an AI beverage depending on the waiter. Did not have wine or beer personally. The bar does have a two for one mixed drinks happy hour, around 5 pm I think. Bottled water was not included. You can buy it at the gift shop for $2.00 a bottle. Do not drink the tap water or use it for brushing your teeth. There is filtered water in a pitcher that they supply daily for your room. I still always used bottled water if not boiling water for coffee or tea.

I took meds to prevent malaria (once a week) and meds to prevent travelers diarrhea. No problem with either on this trip. A few in my party did get sick at the latter half of the week-GI distress. No see-ums were a problem once when I stayed on the beach to watch the fire -dancers. The bites were painless, didn't even realize I was bitten until I saw the circular red marks.

It was very good diving. I was with my dive group of about 20 , so the boat was filled each day for the most part. Didn't mind the size because we knew each other. Other dive boats seemed to have about the same amount of divers, maybe a little less.

We -large group-rented the FI shuttle to take us to Gio's restaurant -large crabs! for dinner one night. Cost was about $5.00 apiece. Do not drive, roads are narrow and crazy.

Have fun!

FI has a happy hour each evening with 2 for 1 drinks.
There is a clinic at FI with a doctor in attendance at least during daylight hours.

check out those cute baby hats with netting.

Okay, here is my seat trick on the plane.

Book an aisle and a window (study the config on the ticket site).

Mom and Dad, act like you don't know each other. Leave the middle seat open. Now,

the poor soul who has that seat WILL find any empty seat on the aircraft, the flight attendants will probably even feel compelled to help.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

catherine96821:
Okay, here is my seat trick on the plane.

Book an aisle and a window (study the config on the ticket site).

Mom and Dad, act like you don't know each other. Leave the middle seat open. Now,

the poor soul who has that seat WILL find any empty seat on the aircraft, the flight attendants will probably even feel compelled to help.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Excellent advice. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom