Fantasy Island Resort early April wind/water conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O:
Never assume... you know the saying. Afraid of getting lost, ROFLMAO!!! You are too funny!! I may not have 3000 dives, but I've been on enough dives without DMs to figure things out. Navigation skills, anyone?

I just don't like DMs that 'herd' people around without showing them anything good. With one of those types, there's no point in having one around.

I just find that on many DM-led dives you get a big 'blob' of divers glued to the DM, and I don't really like hanging around in that kind of crowd. You tend to get kicked by divers who have crappy buoyancy skills in that kind of setting. Hence the drop behind and enjoy the show attitude...

I'm with ya! I'm definately a back-of-the-pack diver, too. Yes, I may miss some of the things a good DM will find but it's made me learn how to find them myself! I'd much rather miss a few things than get beat up in the melee of fins. I like to stay far enough behind that everything that got scared by the crowd ventures out again! Besides, once you learn the type of habitat the critters like, you'll start finding them yourself. And any good DM will tell you what to look for.

My buddy is a very good critter spotter, we dive very well together. So we tend to drop behind and, like you said Dee, find the critters that got spooked by the big crowd up ahead. The DMs at FIBR sound pretty good from what I've heard so far, so I hope to pick up some tips from them for spotting the things I want to shoot. Heck, I'll just be glad not to have to put on a drysuit and all the crap required to dive 34F water, for a change!

My girlfriend and I will be arriving Fantasy Island 08Apr - Really looking forward to it !. Snowed in DC yesterday - can't wait for sunscreen and bug spray.

We staid at Fantasy Island 5 years ago and had a very good time (reason for the return).

I'm going to be much better this time - I gained 8 pounds while I was there last time. Watch those deserts !

We really liked the dive masters and had a great time diving. We too hang out behind the groups as both of us shoot video on the dives. Seahorses will still be there when we finally arive. Girlfriend is super at spotting - I was really impressed when she spotted a scorpionfish on a rock during a night dive at San Salvador. Most of the time we see a bunch more following.

Write more after sadly returning

NAIBDiver1

NAIBdiver1:
Girlfriend is super at spotting - I was really impressed when she spotted

When I have been lucky enough to dive with Dee, I spot for her. These can be quite handy relationships. It works well with two photogs and one spotter- you can "leapfrog" each other as you meander down a reef. As you begin to gel it can be quite a productive method.

we are a really good team, we have a swim pattern together that does cover a wide area on each dive. different perspectives of the same subject have so far made some very nice videos for us. lots of fun. can't wait to be there ! already 95% packed !

I just got back from Coco View on 3/26. Had no rain for the week 3 windy days but still dove. Had a great time. Fantasy Island is right next to Coco View.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom