Fantasy Lake condition report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomorrow's weather leads me to believe in water will be warmer than out of water at the lake! Going to enjoy a little navigation in the afternoon and then going on a tour with a couple DMCs in the dark. Equipment checked and ready to load in the morning. Looking forward to a cold day of diving! See ya there!

I went on that DMC night dive with thebigdiver, my husband Mr. Sparkle and about a dozen others. Here's my dive log (and updated condition report). Sorry to say, the vis has not improved yet, although it was significantly better beyond the bus, where the new students rarely go.

In other news, dive #25 is in the books! Whooo!

Dive 24, November 8, 2012, 6:48 PM
Night Dive, Visibility 3-8 feet
Air temp: 50 degrees F; Surface temp: 65 degrees; Temp at 29 feet: 63 degrees
Max depth: 29 feet, Time: 20 minutes, swimming safety stop
Nitrox 30%, starting PSI 2400 after a free-flow, ending PSI 1500
This was one of the more challenging dives I've been on, because of the cold and dark and low vis. This was a DMC candidate's tour dive, so we had the DMC candidate leading, an instructor to evaluate him and another diver in the middle, myself and my hubby next, and then another instructor in the back as backup. I had my new semi-dry suit on, and swam out to the entry point 4lbs underweighted. (I assumed the weight I used for a 5mm two-piece suit last time would be enough, but it wasn't.) I couldn't sink, so a couple of guys helped me add an extra 4lbs in the water. I had a free flow at the same time and lost about 600 PSI of my air. Rocky start. Once under, we really had to work to stay close enough to see each other without getting kicked. Basically I had to stay 1-3 feet behind the next diver's fins or risk losing the group. We saw a few fish on the bottom and around the bus, but nothing terribly exciting. We also had a diver from another group accidentally join our group when the groups crossed, hehe. I will say, my hubby's buddy skills are getting pretty good, especially helping me with my gear out of the water. :wink:

C-c-cold surface interval and dive debrief.

Dive 25, November 8, 2012, 8:00 PM
Night Dive, Visibility 3-12 feet
Air temp: 40 degrees F; Surface temp: 65 degrees; Temp at 28 feet: 61 degrees
Max depth: 28 feet, Time: 29 minutes, swimming safety stop
Air, starting PSI 3000, ending PSI something over 1500
I did this dive with a different buddy because my husband was shivering too much to get back in the water, and I really really wanted to get dive #25 in (thanks Joe!). The water was actually warmer than the air at this point, so we were able to stay warm as long as we were underwater. We dropped down right from the shore this time, and my weighting was fine with the extra 4lbs still in my pockets. We swam past the airplane (Joe wrote "SILT" on the wing in 1/2" of the stuff), past the school bus, down the road a bit, and back. The visibility was better along the road, probably because there had not been a lot of students there stirring up the silt. A two-foot-long bass kept swimming in Joe's light, probably hunting smaller fish in it, until Joe actually touched its tail and scared it off. I saw some interesting hollow round balls of green algae (golf ball sized). It was much easier to stay with one buddy instead of trying to keep an entire group together. As a result, this dive was much easier, I was able to relax more, and my bouyancy & trim were significantly better.

These dives were definitely "character building", but we still had fun. We had a beer afterward to celebrate the DMCs getting their tours in, my 25th dive, and finding a dozen of us who were crazy enough to do a night dive in those conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom