Info Fantasy Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Years ago, the local dive shop in Lynchburg, VA (now closed) used to take classes to “Fantasy Lake”, a flooded quarry near Wake Forest, NC. They had some interesting things to see, and IIRC offered tank fills and limited items for sale at their rudimentary “dive shop”. I was just writing to find out whether that are still there, and how much diving is done there in recent years.

We also went to “Lake Rawlings“ which I understand is now “Lake Phoenix”. I always considered it less desirable and interesting back then, even though it was closer. No flames please, keep in mind my last trip to either was about 20 years ago!

Froggie 🐸

Fantasy Lake is still there, changed ownership two years ago and there hasn't been fills there in at least 15 years that I've been diving it. Lots of diving during the warm months. If you were there when they had fills then you definitely won't recognize it.

Yep, that’s the place alright! I’ve done a bunch of traing and tuneup dives there during relatively warm months (back in the ‘90s!) In addition to the rock crusher from its quarry days, Fantasy Lake had about half of the “attractions” then that they list now. I especially liked the dock from which one could do boat style entries, but the original ramp that served trucks to and from the quarry made a fine walking entry. My other strong memories were the large, very tame fish and a “cemetery” comprised of about a half dozen or so upright stone slabs at about 30-35 ft. In the Summer, with a light wetsuit, one could get a lot of “bottom time” at depths of 40’ or less in mild conditions above the thermocline. Great memories!
Froggie 🐸

Yep, that’s the place alright! I’ve done a bunch of traing and tuneup dives there during relatively warm months (back in the ‘90s!) In addition to the rock crusher from its quarry days, Fantasy Lake had about half of the “attractions” then that they list now. I especially liked the dock from which one could do boat style entries, but the original ramp that served trucks to and from the quarry made a fine walking entry. My other strong memories were the large, very tame fish and a “cemetery” comprised of about a half dozen or so upright stone slabs at about 30-35 ft. In the Summer, with a light wetsuit, one could get a lot of “bottom time” at depths of 40’ or less in mild conditions above the thermocline. Great memories!
Froggie 🐸

Crusher still there, cemetery still there. Water level is WAY up from what you would remember, that road is now about 20ft deep in the section between the crusher and the cemetery.
The former DSO at NC State stocked it with quite a few VERY big and expensive koi before the original owner passed away and they are a bit skittish from divers chasing them but also still quite a few large attack bass/brim and a few good sized catfish.

Wow! Fantasy Lake has really changed. Haven't been there for quite a while. Want to try out a new wetsuit and hood at Fantasy Lake within the next 2 weeks. Anyone have recent water temps?

It's been twenty plus years since I've been there and nearly thirty since I dived there. I'm going to guess a good wet suit will be OK down to the thermocline, but after that, it will be the same as the rest of the year... cold! A good wetsuit will be a must if you want to go to much below about forty feet or so. But then again, It's been a lot of years!
Froggie

Got blown out of MC back in 2020. Went here for the day. That rock crusher was epic. It's a massive piece of engineering just stuck in time. Never forget it.

That was before the new owners. You could just drive in and throw money in a drop box. We had the whole place to ourselves for just about the entire day.

Fantasy has been undergoing some big changes after the change in ownership.
People dive there daily, pretty busy on weekends, but plenty of room for everyone.
Called Fantasy Lake Adventure Park now. Fantasy Lake Adventure Park
They have recently added a very large section for "water activities" -- a big Wibit course on one side of the lake. Not sure how that will affect traffic, visibility, etc, as it just opened this past weekend, I think. The course is pretty far from the diving area, so there isn't much anticipated change in visibility from the new stuff. You can check it all out at the link above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom