FAQ on Nocturnal Light SLX 800i vs. SLX 800xi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nocturnal Lights

Contributor
Reaction score
Buying a video light:

Choosing between the Nocturnal Lights SLX 800i and SLX 800xi video lights.

We have gotten the same questions a dozen times last week so we wanted to point out how they’re different to help you decide which light is right for you. Both lights offer the same output. The SLX 800xi is slightly longer.

The SLX 800i
- Takes 6AA batteries (you can choose to use 3 or 6 batteries at once)
- Burn time of 2 hours then slowly runs down for 6+ more hours
- SLX 800i is shorter and can be used as a hand mounted dive light as well as a lantern style dive light

The SLX 800xi
- Takes 12AA batteries (you can choose to use 3, 6, 9, or 12 batteries)
- Burn time of 4 hours then slowly runs down for 12+ more hours
- SLX 800xi is longer and can be used as a lantern style dive light

In general the SLX 800xi will be appealing to videographers who are not using the light as a dive light and is shooting for more than several hours a day. Two hours+ is plenty of time for most divers who are diving three 45 minute dives on each day so the burn time is plenty for most diver. The SLX 800xi will be appealing to divers who are going on 5-6 dives on the entire trip and do not want to worry about replacing batteries. Choose the SLX 800xi if your shoots are going to last more than two hours.

Regardless of which light you pick they’re both great lights and you’ll be pleased with the results. Feel free to reply to this thread if you have any questions.

I've just ordered an Equinox HD6 housing for my Canon HF S30 and am now looking at lights, the pricing of the SLX800i looks pretty competitive, what would you recommend in terms of setup (2 lights).

Thanks in advance.

I have considered your lights for video use but decided not to for the simple reason they can not be adjusted underwater.You need to decide before hand what power you want and then place the appropriate batteries in .

Have you considered a selector switch for variable power settings? I think your lights are good but the non power setting capability is what is stopping me from buying them.

Brian,

I would recommend two SLXs 800i or 800xi, the xi has a longer burn time and at the end fo the day it's up to you what you prefer. If you were shooting with a small compact housing I would definitely recommend the 800i.

Nocturnal Lights Dual SLX 800i Video Light Combo with Two Flex Arms - Video Lights

or

Nocturnal Lights Dual SLX 800xi Video Light Combo with Two Flex Arms - Video Lights

will both do the job.

EastEndDiver,

The lights are not super bright like the Keldan Lights that we have so the adjustable output was not necessary. It was designed to be simple and ultra rugged. Check out the new Luna 4 V which was just released:

Keldan Lights Luna 4 V Underwater Video Light

Back
Top Bottom