Farallon shark dart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were other forms of dart, this one is as a dagger, although as seen in the brochure Farallon had a number of dagger options.
gas dart dagger.jpg

Sharks here are trying hard to make fools of people who claim sharks don’t attack humans by chewing on them fairly regularly now. Putting paid to often spouted mantra, one in a million, lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice, etc. One of our most experienced spearfishermen has been attacked twice, the last when he shot a fish, some distance away a bull shark thought, “Not in my territory you don’t” and attacked him heading straight for him, with no deviation or prior sizing up. Only a rapid evacuation to shore, a phone ahead warning to make immediate preparations for a shark attack casualty arriving at the dock and people who really knew their stuff on the spot saved his life.

Yep. Haven’t actually seen a bang stick in quite some time. For the most part, sharks leave divers alone. Spearfishers, however, do have to contend with aggressive sharks from time to time. But even then, the bang stick is often not used. Most who choose to use a powerhead or PPD. This is more compact and attaches to the spear tip. Same principle, though. A bullet is in the PPD, and the impact against the animal ignites the primer and fires the bullet.

The damage mechanism is actually quite similar. You are correct that the approach is a bit different. However, the thing that causes the most damage is the same. In a PPD, the bullet fires upon contact with the animal. The bullet itself does some damage, but the expanding gases from the propellant does the most damage. So, in a way, the mechanism is quite similar. Both rely on expanding gas to cause tissue damage. The difference is in the mechanism to penetrate the skin. One uses a needle, one uses a bullet.
You are quite right. For 15 years I took students to open water in a Caribbean island and we encounter hundreds of shark; always carried the 12 gauge bang stick (with blanks), just in case but not a single one ever came close. So much for the myth. I still have it if someone is interested.

You are quite right. For 15 years I took students to open water in a Caribbean island and we encounter hundreds of shark; always carried the 12 gauge bang stick (with blanks), just in case but not a single one ever came close. So much for the myth. I still have it if someone is interested.

I have no experience with the 12 gauge under water...but would imagine waterproofing it is the challenge.
I make my own slip on 9mm out of pipe and epoxy.

I may be interested in the bang stick, send me a private message

I have no experience with the 12 gauge under water...but would imagine waterproofing it is the challenge.
I make my own slip on 9mm out of pipe and epoxy.
yes, waterproofing is critical, but manageable. I had success with two coats of Nail Polish. But it is prudent to discard the shell after each dive. Every time I reuse the shell, it failed.

I'm not able to do it by Direct Message. Nor can I publish the pictures here so everyone can see it.
Apparently I don't the rights to do anything in this forum. I don't know if this is correct but send me your email at rcarrica@gmail.com. Thank you

What you have is called a bang stick, I believe. I don't know about the legal implications, though. With sharks facing a very real risk of extinction in the not too far future, I'd say a bang stick definitely is a thing of the past. The point is that its use will kill the shark and there is hardly any excuse for that.
In no way does that sound like a bang stick at all. Funny though on perspectives and locations with shark numbers. All my time on the ocean here in Florida and I've never seen or caught more sharks than the current times. Now if only they would focus on Lionfish as a primary food source we'd be set!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom