FAT guy doing deco....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGJC,

Keep in mind that you could follow all of the conservative techniques that are realistic, and you could still get bent. Fat is among the worst of preconditions that can directly lead to DCS -- greater than a PFO or even an injury (I suspect). As Dr. Deco pointed out in detail, fat and nitrogen don't mix well. I don't want you to get the idea that I encourage vastly overweighted people to do decompression dives. I don't, but I know the diver's psyche and rather than ignore your question and have you go out dive anyway, I feel compelled to hand out some pointers that might do you some good.

That said, you have to be the one to accept the very real risk of a DCS hit -- which you seem to have done. I think if you follow some of the stuff I outlined, you might do OK (but who knows). I hope you can get the weight down, because with it, you will always be at significant risk.

Good luck :).

Mike

PS. Have you tried the Atkins diet?

Originally posted by BIGJC
Uncle pug-your ability to state the obvious is amazing, keep it up...
Thanks, I try to point out the obviously overlooked elements...

But perhaps I was a bit too circumspect....

Quit deco diving until you can get your fat levels into a workable range....

This not only makes sense from a physiological perspective but from a psychological one as well...

Carrot on a stick kinda thing if you know what I mean....

Literally & figuratively...

I think I've gained some valuable information here......

thanks for your help.

thanks for posting this post !
i too am a large diver and have been werking on reducing my body fat witch as anyone knows can be difficult to say the least!
i am planning on doing some deco dives in the future and the info helped me since the nearest deco chamber is over 300 KM away
dont wanna get bent arround here hahahah

Back
Top Bottom