Fatality in Tenggol, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.utusan.com.my/berita/nah...-ketika-menyelam-dekat-pulau-tenggol-1.929408

Ezzuan Ahmad

03 July 2019 5:59 PM

DUNGUN July 3 - A businessman from Kuala Lumpur died drowning while scuba diving with his friends in an incident off the waters of Pulau Tenggol today.

The incident occurred around 10:23am and the body of the victim, Tan Gue Kwang, 54, together with his diving equipment which was still in its entirety including an underwater camera, was found approximately 50 meters from where the victim was reported missing at about 1:20pm.

The victim was found at a depth of 18 meters by a resort officer from the island, after a search and rescue effort was launched.

According to the dive instructor Muhammad Aqif Ibrahim, 24, during the incident he and several other divers were conducting routine checks in the water.

"During the safety checks, the victim suddenly surfaced, abandoning his three friends in the water."

"After performing safety checks on his three friends, I surfaced but when I asked the boat driver about the victim, the boat driver said the victim had disappeared," he said.

According to him, they went out to dive at about 9:45am. The victim had been staying on the island for three days accompanied by his wife and son.

Meanwhile, the district police chief Superintendent Baharudin Abdullah confirmed the incident when contacted.

He said the police received telephone calls from the public on the incident at 12:15pm. The victim's body arrived at the Rajawali Jetty, Kampung Seberang Pintasan at around 2:44pm and was sent to Dungun Hospital for a post-mortem.

Back
Top Bottom