Father and son adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin L. Waldroup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My oldest son took a Padi Bubblemaker class last month and then did a second session this past weekend. He really enjoyed it and wants to keep going to a get certification one day and asked me to be his "buddy" so while he was doing the second Bubblemaker class I did a Discover Scuba class. It was familiar to when I did an intro class 25 years ago, but definitely different now that I am not a kid anymore. Looking forward to continuing the adventure with him.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

You lucky guy. How old is your son?

My son started scuba diving at age 14 and we've been diving together for 26 years. I hope you get as much enjoyment diving together as we have.

Bert

A big congratulations to you and your son!

I had 5 children - all began as toddlers sucking on a SCUBA tank placed on the bathroom floor, migrated to a do-boy pool using small MSA tanks and home made back packs and by 4 into the family pool- by 5 into a very protected shallow cove in the pacific ocean- not too deep or in harms way -- but in their juvenile minds the were Divers!

May I suggest that you read thus account that appeared in the NAUI Sources magazine

NAUI-SourcesMag2018Q3p18-19.pdf
File size:
1.7 MB
Where in the heck is Brownsberg Indiana ? So Sam IV had an interesting experience in the Evansville Indiana shop about 10 years ago
Than you for your military service and not kneeling when the Star Spangled banner is sung !

Sam Miller, 111
(Capt. USAF - Korea)

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...congratulations...this is a great way to bond with you son for a lifetime...

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

You lucky guy. How old is your son?

My son started scuba diving at age 14 and we've been diving together for 26 years. I hope you get as much enjoyment diving together as we have.

Bert
My oldest son is 8 1/2, my youngest son is 1 1/2. He told me he wanted to try scuba diving so I had told him when he was 10 I would let him try it, well they had a Bubblemaker class for 8 so I got him in a little earlier.

When he was 6 he asked me to take him indoor skydiving, so when when flying out of Chicago for our Alaska trip we went a little early and did that together. It was fun, but definitely a lot different than my static jumps in the Army.
IMG_5079.JPG

A big congratulations to you and your son!

I had 5 children - all began as toddlers sucking on a SCUBA tank placed on the bathroom floor, migrated to a do-boy pool using small MSA tanks and home made back packs and by 4 into the family pool- by 5 into a very protected shallow cove in the pacific ocean- not too deep or in harms way -- but in their juvenile minds the were Divers!

May I suggest that you read thus account that appeared in the NAUI Sources magazine

NAUI-SourcesMag2018Q3p18-19.pdf
File size:
1.7 MB
Where in the heck is Brownsberg Indiana ? So Sam IV had an interesting experience in the Evansville Indiana shop about 10 years ago
Than you for your military service and not kneeling when the Star Spangled banner is sung !

Sam Miller, 111
(Capt. USAF - Korea)

Brownsburg, Indiana is the N/W suburb of Indianapolis. Thank you for your service as well. I ended up doing 9 years between enlisted and officer, 2 tours in Iraq 5 months apart and I decided it was time to make my exit.

@Kevin L. Waldroup

When my son was just a tike he said some thing so profound to me

"Dad, I have a lot of friends but you are my best buddy"

My best friend was Ron Merker (@Dr bills Instructor ) whos son Lance was a few years older than Sam IV, also had began diving at a very early age so we often compared our children's diving progress

One thing we in SoCal, who began diving with our very young off springs before some one said they were too young, is we noticed when we dove together they had a very relaxed breathing and low air consumption. It was determined that they were diving with daddy and daddy would protect them and of course we did.

We also insisted on them recording every dive and identifying by scientific name and common name at least one "critter"
Now after all these many years later these logs have become treasures of their youth

We also adhered to the rule that diving with dad and his friends was a privilege not a right -- Clean room, good grades, school involvement and Scouts ! The later was a problem-- Lance received his Eagle 4 days before his 18 birthday, Sam IV, 12 days prior to his 18th. But they made it !

Both boys are now well into ther 50s married with children and successful , Lance is the President of a Computer company, Sam IV is the Director of ER & Hyperbarics at a local hospital

I sincerity hope you have the same success

Sam III

@Kevin L. Waldroup

When my son was just a tike he said some thing so profound to me

"Dad, I have a lot of friends but you are my best buddy"

My best friend was Ron Merker (@Dr bills Instructor ) whos son Lance was a few years older than Sam IV, also had began diving at a very early age so we often compared our children's diving progress

One thing we in SoCal, who began diving with our very young off springs before some one said they were too young, is we noticed when we dove together they had a very relaxed breathing and low air consumption. It was determined that they were diving with daddy and daddy would protect them and of course we did.

We also insisted on them recording every dive and identifying by scientific name and common name at least one "critter"
Now after all these many years later these logs have become treasures of their youth

We also adhered to the rule that diving with dad and his friends was a privilege not a right -- Clean room, good grades, school involvement and Scouts ! The later was a problem-- Lance received his Eagle 4 days before his 18 birthday, Sam IV, 12 days prior to his 18th. But they made it !

Both boys are now well into ther 50s married with children and successful , Lance is the President of a Computer company, Sam IV is the Director of ER & Hyperbarics at a local hospital

I sincerity hope you have the same success

Sam III

I am also an Eagle Scout, currently a Cubmaster, and will be serving on our council Wood Badge staff in 2019. Congrats to you and your sons. My 2 will be down that path, with the oldest currently a Bear. Sounds like you had some good rules.

Even with only 2 lessons he has asked some good questions and opened up some good science discussions.

Also, I will be making my first trip to California this summer. I have a conference in Costa Mesa.

I am also an Eagle Scout, currently a Cubmaster

Welcome to the board and to a slightly addictive hobby! :)

Scout leader my whole adult life up here in Canada, currently working with Venturers and Rovers (14-18, 18-23). You may want to look into your local dive shops/clubs for a Scouting program. A local dive shop (in cooperation with Scouts Canada) offers a scuba scouting discovery program at the pool for cubs and older and it looks very interesting. For the older kids they even have a full OW + merit badge program. I'm having my Rovers look into it to organise an activity for the Cubs and Scouts in early 2019. I'm guessing they must have something similar with the BSA in your neck of the woods.

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom