Question Fathom Dive Systems has their own version of a Genesis Warp Core?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

🤣🤣🤣

No piece of technical equipment is completely immune to "user inattention" (...I'm being nice) and having the equipment "professionally serviced" is no guarantee either. The only time's I've had regulator problems is either brand new out of the box or after having them "professionally serviced," which is why I now maintain my own regs.

There are two trains of thought.
1. Make it non-user serviceable, as some manufacturers do with their shaft seals, prop bearings or batteries that can't ship via air from their overseas country of manufacture (not to mention most regulators, computers, lights, etc.) ...or

2. Embrace the Right to Repair and let the user fix any issues they are comfortable repairing. If they are not comfortable or lack the experience in doing a repair, then they can choose to hire someone to do it for them.

Is there a possibility of a user "winging it"? Yes, but they do so at their own expense and it is generally obvious before they ever get into water or very soon after, not 300ft deep and/or a mile back in a cave. There is no reason to penalize the majority of users who are perfectly competent enough to perform their own maintenance. Ask Stuart, he did a full cell change on a 18 layer Warp Core and later did a conversion down to 9 layers, all before understanding what #S#P meant. Then we had another user overseas "wing it" and installed a bunch of cells backwards. Since every cell in the Warp Core is individually fused, all he did was blow some fuses, which he ordered locally and had someone resolder, before successfully reassembling the Warp Core the second time around (after actually reading the manual.)

The Genesis 3.0 includes more serviceable design elements vs previous models, (beside just the Warp Core) so users around the world can service them locally, if they have the necessary skills and experience to do so.

Regarding the original topic, yes, Fathom copied the Warp Core design to some degree, but the most important difference is the cell holders we use. I had to re-engineer the contacts for more clamping force on standard flat top 18650 cells, since the normal cell holders available from the manufacturer are designed for protected cells that are slightly longer and don't make the best contact with the flat top cells over time. Logic Dive Gear is the only one in the world with these higher contact pressure cell holders, since we own the tooling to make them.

Cheers,
Jon

Despite the appearance given by my outstanding ability to second-guess myself and ask questions that make me sound ignorant and/or stupid, I have known what #S#P means for quite some time.

Your philosophy on the user’s right to repair, the awesome engineering in the scooters, and The Fine Manual are all reasons why I think the Genesis scooters are the best one can buy.

Yes, I did all that jiggery with my Warp Core, and never had a single misstep, thanks to that manual.

@stuartv, yes, they did. I don't believe they manufacture the core any longer. However, there are a few scooters with the core for sale. Here is one (re-post from Cave Diver):

@MattK911 may have more info.
There are not very many out there, less than a dozen. They didn't sell very well and were hard to justify keeping as we increased our production capacity for our CCR's. I love mine :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom