favorite canister Light mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What is your favorite way to mount the canister of your light and why? I just got one and it came with a mount that mounts to the side of a tank...I don't like it because I can't reach it. What about a belt mount or mounting it to the backplate side, or some other way. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mine have a simple length of webbing held to the canister by two pipe clamps, and the right side of the harness waistband runs through that. The canister is held in place by a buckle that's just slid onto the harness and closed.

Two clamps and a piece of old belt webbing. Goes on your belt, right side, right up against your backplate or extra weight pouch if you have one. Go to Lighting Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems and you will see what I am talking about.

I second that... the easier the better. Don't waste money on fancy cannister mounts, I tried many, but the simplest (i.e. webbing and clamps) is definitely the best!

What everyone is saying is the most common way to mount a canister to your webbing. I personally prefer to use a material holster to hold the canister (which just slides onto 2" webbing). This way I can put the canister holder behind other things on my webbing and not have to take them all off to remove the canister. This means that when it is time to charge the light or switch it over from my OC to my CCR I just slide it out of one holder and into the next.

As for position, on OC I always have it on my right waist webbing so that it is out of the way, accessible, streamlined with my body and I can tuch my long 2nd stage hose under it. On CCR I also place it here but obviously not for the hose reason.

As noted above, the 'standard' for back mounted tanks is 2" webbing hose clamped to the cannister to create a 'belt loop' to use to mount the light to the webbing on your waistband.

It works best with the DIR / hog harness approach where there is no right side waist D-ring. In that configuration you can slide the can back near the back plate and secure it with a weight belt buckle.

If you dive with a right side D-ring, you can do the same thing but you can make the can light easily removeable without having to unthread everything. Just replace the lower hose clamp with a 1/4" bungee loop. With the loop free of the can, the webbing and bungee loop goes over the waist band and the loop then stretches down over the can and goes around the can to secure the webbing in the same way as the hose clamp.

Side mount divers tend to butt mount their lights and this was common in back mount as well when light cannisters were much larger. The caution with butt mounting a can light in back mount is that if not careful you can set/drop the tanks on the can and crack it.

An issue here is that belt mounting a can light requires a shorter cord length than the 5' cord commonly used in butt mounting a can light. Consequently, when I switch to back mount for offshore divingI back mount my can light. In that regard I got lucky to a degree as I had an OMS lift bag carrier (purchased on a backplate at an estate sale) with bungee loops for two lift bags and a small mesh compartment for a waterproof cannister - that was too small for anything useful, bu happens to be the perfect size for the cannister on my 12W LED.

Mine have a simple length of webbing held to the canister by two pipe clamps, and the right side of the harness waistband runs through that. The canister is held in place by a buckle that's just slid onto the harness and closed.

+1

Everyone I know dives a can this way.

All the best, James

I butt mount mine when sidemounting, and have when doing doubles. I use a Nomad for most stuff, but have a Transpac that I use with doubles. I have quick links mounted to the clamps on my can and just use them on the rings on the side of my transpac. Puts the can between me and the wing. I like it. Some don't, some do.

What is your favorite way to mount the canister of your light and why? I just got one and it came with a mount that mounts to the side of a tank...I don't like it because I can't reach it. What about a belt mount or mounting it to the backplate side, or some other way. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Are you:

1) diving OC?
2) diving CCR?
3) diving sidemount?

The answer to your question depends on the above.

OC----double 119's, Apeks ss backplate, Apeks wtx3 wing for singles and wtx 4 wing for doubles. I've got a belt loop on it(the light can) now just haven't tried it. Also, I ordered a Dive Rite canister mounting strap that allows it to mount to the backplate. It was less than $10, so if it sucks, I'm not out of much. Anyone using one of these? The last two charters I was on, the other divers using can lights all mounted with these. What do ya'll think? also, thanks again for any advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom