Favorite dive off of Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_luv

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, what's your favorite dive if you dive a boat out of Marathon?

Last year I dove Sombrero Reef, which was nice, and a few other spots.
I really enjoyed it, even though it was so shallow. We got to see Stumpy the ray, a sea turtle, and lots and lots of fish. Just one lobster, though.
I also liked diving the barge. We watched a guy in a rebreather catching reef fish - looked like a commercial operation.

Anyway, what's your favorite?

~K

Mike Loyco:
Agree on the Tunderbolt. Awesome! :35:

Looks like a good wreck - what kind of currents?

Last time I did it (March 2005), there was a light current coming from the stern to the bow. It was more of an issue descending/ascending the line, and once we were on the wreck, it was mostly blocked by the superstructure and gunwales. I've only dove the Thunderbolt once, so I don't know if current is common like on the Speigle Grove.

This is a good wreck to be in the first team to descend, as we saw at least a dozen barracuda right on the line. When we started down, the barracuda left, and the second dive team didn't see them.

There's mild penetration under the deck through the engineering space, which is wide open and cavernous. The pilot house is nice for this as well, but the entrances/exits are through doorways or portholes (tight). We also saw a huge goliath near the screws.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom