Favorite Liveaboard (Peter Hughes, Aggressor, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EDIT: I thought Nekton had three boats... do they just have two?
That's right, the Pilot and the Rorqual. They do have a smaller working boat that's only used to place moorings etc. - not a liveaboard for passengers.

mike_s:
Check out the book "No Safe Harbor". It's about the Wind Dancer trajedy.

Also check out http://www.wavedancermemorial.com/

Make sure to read the IMMARBE Report. It talks about all the saftey problems on the boat. It would have never passed a USCG inspection if brought back into the US.
http://www.wavedancermemorial.com/Accident/IMMARBEReport.pdf

This is exactly why we went with Nekton in Belize. The fact that the Nekton boats are USCG inspected and certified yearly gave us a measure of peace of mind that tips the scales for Nekton everytime. Of course now that we've done a Nekton cruise, we'll be back for likely every itinerary they do! :D

I agree with Mike, Peter Hughes isn't a company I want to do business with. That's my personal decision and other's may do what they wish without judgement from me.

Thanks for the info folks! Especially Rick, glad you're ok and so sorry for your losses. I'm looking into a liveaboard trip and have now cut one company out of my choices. Nekton is looking pretty good.

mike_s:
Check out the book "No Safe Harbor". It's about the Wind Dancer trajedy.
I wouldn't go on a Peter Hughes trip even if I won it for free.

Good!! More room for the divers who know the boats and captains well. People who make rash judgements based on.....well, certainly not either first or second hand knowledge......may not be the divers I would enjoy diving with anyway.

RiverRat:
Thanks for the info folks! Especially Rick, glad you're ok and so sorry for your losses. I'm looking into a liveaboard trip and have now cut one company out of my choices. Nekton is looking pretty good.

:eyebrow:
And you would be making a big mistake, IMHO.
I guess you would not go into any building in NYC just because the World Trade Towers fell down, either. One bad decision by one captain under unusual circumstances should not taint other excellent captains/boats. I've been diving PH boats (among others) for a long time all over the world. My first liveaboard was the Aquarius in Guanaja in 1974. I have dived no finer boats than the two PH affiliated boats in PNG. Your loss, my gain.

In my opinion, personal experience trumps inuendo and rumor every time.
:lol:

I think that the bottom line here is that liveaboard experiences are going to vary depending on many variables, some of which are just out of anyone's control. We all try to limit the choices available to us and pick the "best" boat available, given limiting factors such as price, location, availability, etc, and then hope for the best. There are really only a few operators that give unacceptable service, as the real offenders are quickly identified and do not stay around long, at least in my experience. I agree that personal experience is usually the best recommendation, but for those who want to try new places and situations, there has to be some degree of uncertainty. Resources like this board are invaluable for helping decide among the host of possibilities out there, but you have to remember that what pleases one person might prove unacceptable to another, and you have to take all of this with a grain of salt. Do your homework, think about what is available, then make your choice and just do it! Remember, even diving with problems beats no diving!:D Woody

Allison Finch:
Good!! More room for the divers who know the boats and captains well. People who make rash judgements based on.....well, certainly not either first or second hand knowledge......may not be the divers I would enjoy diving with anyway.

I dunno, I would think that information from one of the survivors would be classified as first hand knowledge. Just because things run smooth on a corporation's other boats does not make what they did right (screw over victims of a tragedy). I choose not to support certain organizations based on how they treat people/customers/employees.
C'mon, leave people on a poorly anchored boat in a major hurricane? Talk about a screw up!

I think this thread has taken an unexpected turn. First, I must commend Rick Patterson for chimming in. He brings a perspective that fortunately and unfortunately few can. At the same time others have brought up some really good points - points that apply not just to live-a-boards but pretty much everything as the world is not black and white. The bottomline is that people need to think and think for themselves. Forums like this certainly help educate people but it is certainly not an end all. And far too often people tend to turn their brains off and not ask the what if questions.

Perhaps a new thread should be started with the title - Questions you should ask before booking a live-a-board trip? I have my list but I will let others chime in and perhaps the mods will make into a sticky.

Some questions I ask or have asked are:

What is the exact dive schedule?
Is dive time limited?
How and when are meals served?
How often are rooms cleaned and linens changed?
How long has the crew been onboard?
How long has the specific captain that will be in charge of my charter been the captain onboard this vessel?
Who is in charge on the boat, the cruise director or the captain? (You'd be suprised by this answer sometimes)
What safety equipment is onboard?
Where is the nearest deco chamber?
How many divemasters or instructors are there?
Is every dive guided?
Am I expected to follow the guide?
What electricity voltage and sockets are there?
Is there a separate camera rinse tub?
Is there enough space for several divers to charge batteries 24/7?

Great questions, Bella!!!!

Added to your list:

Is the diving from a dive deck or from skiffs?
Is the dive deck "open" for diving at will, or are there scheduled dive times?
How big and what kind of tanks do you provide?
Do you have soft or hard weights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom