Favorite Local Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajcf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
List your favorite dive site!

Rules:
(1) Must be within eight (8) hour drive of Phoenix AZ
(2) San Carlos, Rocky Point, Southern California, Coronados, Catalina, Santa Barbara, Lake Pleasant all qualify.
(3) List the site name, approximate location, boat or shore dive, date last dove, depths, description

jcf

Since the only place I've dove other than within AZ has been San Carlos, It's San Carlos. My first boat dive and my first ocean dive. I'd like to try San Diego or LA area or Lake Mead too. I'm hoping that folks will write about their experience in those places.

BTW, great idea for a thread.

Steve.

ya gotta love the truth boats.
but, diving around Catalina and San Clemente is pretty cool too.
I think my favorite dive site would either be Italian gardens ('cause thar big sea bass lives there) or one of the Northern Channel Islands, take your pick.

If you've never done cold water (in SoCal) you are missing out on one tremendous experience.
And the Truth boats Truth Aquatics - About Us are tremendous. Great food, wonderful crew.

My favorite local dive site (within 8 hours of Phoenix) would have to be Anacapa Island in CA. I take the Spectre to the island..out of Ventura Harbor. Always a good time and lots to see. Never a disappointment.

Now I know that this is a little out of the 8 hour drive but not by much. But since I've been here I would like to see more people enjoy this awesome dive location.

Skill Level: All
Visibility: 10-30+ feet
Depth: 15 to 60 ft
Underwater sights: Large kelp forests, nudibranchs and other invertebrates, sea lions, star fish and many others....

I've been told that diving at Point Lobos is the best location in the Monterey Bay. This State Reserve park is just beautiful and that's without getting in the water. Gear up and dive into the cool 50 degree salt water and head out of the cove. It's just amazing what you see for the first time. Huge fish, purple star fish and huge amount of kelp.

My last dive was on April 26th, 2008 and my next dive there is this week! Now I hate to rub it in but you gotta go when you can. Since Monterey is nothing like the Phoenix area. Temps dont really get out of the mid 70's. My computer told me that it was 68 degrees out and 53 in the water. Making great use of my new 7 mil wetsuit, hood and boots. Point Lobos is a walk in dive that is not the easist when loaded with gear when the currents are rolling in. Visibility was at least 20+ ft. Here is one of the problems with diving this area. There are only so many parking locations. So it's first come first dive. I suggest a week-day dive and a reservation!

If your ever in the Monterey Bay area this is the place for you! I hope that this can help some of our Arizona divers out. Now this is just my opinion so please dont hold me to anything. Also take a look at the website for this location.

Point Lobos State Reserve - Scuba

I think I would go crazy if I waited that long. :D The last time I went diving in Monterey was in April. The last time I was in the lake was last weekend. I usually go every other weekend. Give me a shout if you head to Plesant.

I love diving the Salt River. Several miles of it and a lot of different places to put in. In the last several years they have made it harder and harder to get access along the river. When I was young you could pull in almost any were along the river and even camp overnight. There is still eight places to park or if your up to it do alittle hiking. If you have never been before I would suggest tubing it from what is known as #1 to #4. This will get you a feel for it and you can see entry and exit points. When I tube, I take mask, fins and snorkel. Definitely try going with someone that has dove the river before.
River diving is a completely different type of dive. Different skills, etc. By changing it up, river and lake, you’ll become a better rounded diver.

Back
Top Bottom