Favorite Maui Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmart64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are going to be back on Maui the first week of September with a couple of friends. We have a few days of boat diving scheduled and are going to set aside two days for shore diving. I know there is some published info on shore diving, but I was hoping to hear from the locals what they consider to be their favorite shore dives. We are going to be staying in Kahana but are willing to travel to check out some good sites.

Thanks for your input!

Joe

You haven't said your level of experience or what kind of dives you want to do or see, but I can offer the following from my own experiences.

Old Airport Beach is a nice easy dive - also lots of small patch reefs out past the main reef. That is accessed from Kai Ala Drive just north of Kaanapali Parkway.

Also, Mala is a good site - conditions permitting. Lots of life to see there.
Take a look at Kidspot's shore diving site http://www.mauishorediving.com for some info on sites in that area.

Obviously you will want to observe the conditions that day at that particular site to ensure the conditions are acceptable to you. Keep in mind that conditions may vary from day to day so you may want to chat with the local dive shops to get their advice for that particular day.

Ya' know what - there are LOTS of great sites in the Lahaina - Kahana area on Maui! you'll have a great time. One of my recent favorites (only done it once so far) Is shark pit - mostly for the incredible reef at the south end of this dive. You can see the info at the link Adjuster posted above (or http://www.alohashoredivers.com/sites )

Aloha, Tim

I have about 70 dives and my wife has about 50. We have both dived in pretty diverse (and sometimes challenging) conditions and are very comfortable overall. We are just looking for sites with a lot of diversity...we will probably spend the two days cruising the island and try to get in 6 different dives.

Thanks for your input,

Joe

I like the North end of Kapalua Bay for a nice easy dive.

For a night dive. Black Rock in Kaanapalli seems to be a favorite.

What dates will you be on Maui? My wife & I will be in the Kaanapalli area from 9/1 - 9/8. We have a dive scheduled with B&B on Tuesday and a Lanai Dive scheduled with Extended Horizons on Thursday. But will probably be doing a fair amount of shore dive as well.

We will be there 8/31-9/7...we are booked with B&B Sat & Sun and with Hawaiian Rafting on Tues. I may dive with B&B again on Monday. Maybe we could hook up for some shore diving on Weds? Where are you guys staying? We will be at the Kahana Beach club or resort

Back
Top Bottom