Favorite Night Diving Tank Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my wife and i use the glotoob fx in blue. we like the "heartbeat" setting as it dims and brightens softly, without any harsh flashing. not sure about the newer versions, but we like them.

"You have "like 4 of them" ??? is 4 to many to know definitively that you have to estimate?"

It might be 5. Had to think about it. 2 green, 1 blue,1 red and 1 white.

I use the TekTite Mark-Lite from DGX on my tank and on my drift flag
upload_2020-9-7_19-42-14.png

Shining your dive light up at your flag while at the safety stop makes you easy to spot and lets the boat know that you will be up in a few minutes.

My most successfully used light is the more tubular blinking ones in the first posted link. However, I like the TekTite the best, as you can use it back at the car as a flashlight to help with gear down and to check for left items. However, I tend to forget to turn the dang things on prior to the dive. The TOOBs are nice, but I find that they corrode very easily and they tend to loose themselves.

I recently dive my first night dive. I was going to use a glowstick but decided a real light was better (I have glowsticks as a backup in case). My buddy and I coordinated and bought different colors. It made it easier for us to pick each other out of a group. Visibility wasn't great (maybe 15-20') so they didn't have much benefit but I will say without the tank lights there were a few times where I might have bumped into someone or gotten real close to it. They are required (to my knowledge) at the dive site and we have been told the PD there is real militant about writing citations for not having proper gear.

They were like $20 for a pair, have an auto on feature and last 500 hours. It did not dawn on me until after I got in the water however that the 2nd one would not work for my dive flag / bouy as it doesn't get submerged. I bought a Scubapro twist on light for it. I think it was like $12 on amazon.

nothing fancy as night dive's will probably be irregular and mostly shore dives.

In a place like Cozumel I could see putting a couple on the dive master that leads the dive. Perhaps one red and one blue. Of course in a place like Cozumel, the dive master is likely to be the one with the dim light powered by 3 AA batteries that some other client left on the boat last week.

I'm kind of kidding. Kind of.
hahaha. Is it really that bad down there? I have friends that dove in the area but with cruise line approved groups. They said it was not bad but by no way on the level of professional as US charters. I imagine if you just find the local group you might get some questionable

I bought the Mares AI transmitter, and it included the "tank light" with the added benefit of changing colors as the pressure in my tank depletes.

I bought the Mares AI transmitter, and it included the "tank light" with the added benefit of changing colors as the pressure in my tank depletes.
...so your buddy can tell you that you are low on gas :)

...so your buddy can tell you that you are low on gas

Apparently your buddies are nicer than my buddies!

I have moved the transmitter to the end of a short HP hose, so it sits on my shoulder, because my arms are long, and the transmitter was having a hard time communicating with my computer.
My buddies call it my Parrot...

Back
Top Bottom