Favorite training spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had my first Hathaway's Pond dive today (first dive on my dry suit). I'm going to need another dive or two in calm water before I'm comfortable diving my suit in open ocean. So I'm wondering... what other good training spots are there? The only three I can think of are Hathaway's Pond, Long Pond, and probably I could include Stage Fort Park. Any place with controlled conditions... no surge, no currents, etc. Yeah, Back Beach is far from a difficult site, but I'm talking bulletproof, 99% of the time ideal conditions.

What about something like Spy Pond in Cambridge? Are their rules about these things, or would I just look totally out of place and freak out the joggers and canoers? Or is the vis terrible/water dirty?
-Brett

Bit of a drive, but Brownstone quarry in Portland Ct. is about the best place around to train. Between the easy entry, perfect conditions, and multiple level training platforms, you can't go wrong.

Bit of a drive, but Brownstone quarry in Portland Ct. is about the best place around to train. Between the easy entry, perfect conditions, and multiple level training platforms, you can't go wrong.

a second for Brownstone. A ton of work has been accomplished over the last year (or 3) with lots more in progress. The new floating docks to the right of the peninsula and the new floating "pier" to the left give GS entry points with quick access to submerged platforms, and there's always the walk in driveway entry as well. Constant classes going on so there's always instructors around to answer questions and give pointers. Plenty to do for the non-diving family as well.

Brownstone is by far the best place to train locally. When traffic is light, it's only an additional 30 minutes compared to Hathaways. When the Cape is busy, it's break even distance (less than two hours).

If you insist on going to Cape Ann, OGB, BB, and Folly are all decent training sites.

Quick tip if you're headed to brownstone before memorial day, you have to call Ed and make an appointment. The park doesn't officially for the season open until memorial day weekend.

I agree that it is an ideal training location.

anyone looking to train for fundies, please get in touch with me, as I have a free training site that is quite decent VERY close to my new apartment(which means we can have someone drop us off/pick us up)

Best part...it's free...and within 10 mins of Boston.

Quick tip if you're headed to brownstone before memorial day, you have to call Ed and make an appointment. The park doesn't officially for the season open until memorial day weekend.

I agree that it is an ideal training location.

Whelp, Frank is there every day pretty much without fail. and I'm there every day for at least the next couple of weeks to finish some work. No big deal to just show up and dive. Unless he's training someone, Ed's usually at the shop and not the quarry.

Dave,
The wesleyan guy wants to stop by....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom