Favourite Aquatic Animal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lampy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sure it has been asked a thousand times before, but it always helps to reminisce!

Please just leave nice simple posts stating the most incredible animal you have ever seen whilst diving. Also where you saw it would be helpful!

I am lucky enough to have seen a Hawksbill Turtle when diving in the Red Sea - Ras Mohammed area. With only 12 dives logged.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Whale sharks-Thailand
Schools of hammerheads & spotted eagle rays-Galapagos

Well I love so many different types of marine life but my favourite has been Porcupinefish (Diodon nicthemeris)! Most people find them boring as there are heaps of them. :p

They are so cute and I see at least one on most shore dives as they are very common. I love how they swim like wind up toys and look so awkward. At night they are really inquisitive too and follow your torch around so are quite fun to play with. Here is a little one that chased me around at a pier a few weeks ago:

n729713689_1112882_388.jpg

Cephalopods (any kind) are a close second.

I'd have to say that my favorite animal underwater is the octopus. Having one bigger than my outstretched arms crawl out from under the wrecked sailboat we were inspecting, and sit beneath me, glaring at us, for several minutes before oozing off into the darkness, was one of the most exciting dives I've done yet.

American Alligator. I never realized how amazing they are until I saw one underwater in Alexander Spring, Ocala National Forest, FL. It was incredible to share the water with it as it lay on the bottom. Watching it surface to check out a young swimmer then glide back to the bottom when the kid took off was surreal.
Ber :lilbunny:

I can't decide between turtles, octopus or eels... turtles are so magical, octopus so intelligent, and eels are just cool! Great question!

Pelegic outlook:
Manta ray, but of course they are not something you could see daily. Also at the top of the list are whales.
Macro outlook:
Sea horses may top the small list for me with shrimp a close second

File0211.jpg

Another for the octo!:D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom