Fear Of Narcosis

Fear Of Narcosis

• My instructor taught me to fear narcosis beyond 100'/30m.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My instructor taught me to be concerned about narcosis beyond 100'/30m.

Votes: 41 73.2%
  • My instructor taught me to be concerned about narcosis beyond 130'/40m.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • My instructor taught me to be aware of narcosis beyond 130'/40m.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • My instructor taught me narcosis only happens to some people below 130'/40m..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My instructor said he's never been narc'd so don't worry about it.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Divers,

Wanted to post this poll to get an idea of what people think with respect to nitrogen narcosis based on their training.

Enjoy!

Mike

I don't remember it even being discussed. When getting certified OW the instructor was more concerned about skills. I've learned what I know about narcosis from reading about it in books and online.

I'm not fearing, or concerned about narcosis, much less at a certain depth and was never taught to be.
What I WAS taught was that narcosis is something you need to be aware of happening when you dive and how bad or not it will be depends on a wide variety of factors including conditions at the dive site, your excertion level and how you respond to it that particular day.
The most dangerous part of narcosis is simply to ignore the fact that you may be impaired without realizing it..

I made a rough estimate. In OW class it was discussed more on an "be aware" level. In AOW class, we did dives aimed at being able to better recognize it. I'd say "be aware at 100'" but that's not an option. I went with "be aware at 130'" instead.

As my OW had no depth limitation attached, instruction discussed it following what Tigerman said above. There will be impairment, when or where is an unknown. Seems to be my experience thus far.....

Did not answer your poll since no question appropriate.

Instructor taught me that narcosis is a factor and I need to be aware of that. He also taught me that different folks can have it at different depths. There is nothing magical about 100 ft or 135 ft.

Personally I think I am probably slightly narced once I get to about 80+. When I get to 100 I make a conscious effort to stay focused.

I can't remember what my instructor said all those yrs ago. So I did not vote.
As far I am concern, sometimes I can feel the onset of narcosis as shallow as 20m! And I even experienced narcosis on trimix at 48m!

Seems to be an ongoing theme on this board Centrals.. Some days youre noticeably narked at 25-30m other days you (seem) fine at 35m.. Guess thats why you want to be aware that it happens and that you may or may not be aware...
And yeah, Ive been there and done that... (not the trimix bit though as I dont hold such certifications)

I was taught to be aware of, not scared of any time I exceed 100'.

For me, I have never been narc'd in clear warm water, I think I have good SA although I could just be over confident in a seemingly low threat environment. Same depth (120+ which I rarely venture to) in combinations of cold, dark, low vis and I can definitely tell I am not able to focus with my normal ability.

I can't participate in your poll either. My response is almost exactly equal to Tigerman's first post in this thread. I have experienced varying degrees of narcosis at varying depths on various dives. I've never knowingly had a problem related to it other than a couple of dark narcs that were more apparent probably due to tiredness and/or dehydration. Even those were not problematic other than the short term anxiety that arose. Since the first two dark narcs helped me to recognize and understand what was occurring, I've never had another of any impact. Most likely because as soon as I recognize it, I ascend a bit and/or the mere understanding/recognition eases it off. Never feared narcosis ever.

Back
Top Bottom