Fear of Sharks, I am not gonna see them, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaliklove:
OK guys! Thanks for all of your advice! I am back from the Bahamas and... Well, I saw my first shark. And It wasn't at all like what I had expected. It was my 2nd dive of the week (I did 5 in total) and was hanging out at the surface, We were getting things together, some friends were snorkeling... and I had my head in the water checking things out. THERE I saw it! a small black tip about 15 feet away from me in about 10 feet of water. I popped my head out of the water and exclaimed Shark, with the biggest grin on my face, then popped my head back in the water and watched it haul away. It wanted nothing to do with us. My dive buddy was so happy with me, And PHEW, it was going the other direction.

There you go - fantastic fun, just like we promised!

Now what on earth is that chap doing with the little turtle in the slideshow?

isurus:
Now what on earth is that chap doing with the little turtle in the slideshow?

Bahamians do crazy things somtimes. The turtle was sleeping at about 15 feet. I guess its fun to show off somtimes. It wasn't hurt, I would have thrown a fit. We took a few pictures, and the little guy went on its way.

ahhhhh....here we go again. saw my first shark off the carolina coast when i was 5. and have been enamored with them ever since. i have studied them in depth as well. i have spent a considerable amount of my life in the ocean. as such, i have seen them many times while swimming, surfing, diving, etc. i am pretty comfortable around them because any fear or apprehension i may have, is completely replaced with wonderment. and i firmly believe they can sense that. i even play with manageable juvenile ones, that i can catch by hand. i have shared this experience with others, and have shown them that sharks are not objects of terror. i respect sharks immensely, but i do not fear them. there are only a handful of species that are outright dangerous, and your chances of encountering same are very remote. i fear someday that sharks will become rare, and only a memory. relax...

tiburon72157:
ahhhhh....here we go again. saw my first shark off the carolina coast when i was 5. and have been enamored with them ever since.

that explains your name

:wink:

I've got aprox. 110 dives in over 3 years.What I'd give to see a shark other than the nurse sharks. I was so sad to here from my buddy (who was also my nitrox instructor) that I missed a Lemon shark during a bad viz reef dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom