Fear of Sharks, I am not gonna see them, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never saw any sharks in any of my dives, until I went on a supervised shark dive. You don't have to worry about sharks. Usually they are more timid of you, then you are of them.

isurus:
dude I'm british - those full-size detroit things would be too big for my parking space.:D

LOL! You have a small parking space AND bad eyesight :D
isurus:
LOL! Check my profile pic :blinking:
Ber :lilbunny:

isurus:
d'oh. nobody's perfect!

LOL! Actually most people assume I'm a man so you're in the majority :D It's fun to point out my pic when I get called "Dude"
Safe, happy diving to you!
Ber :lilbunny:

I've seen tons and have been run into by many sharks while surfing in FL, are water's not too clear so they can't see you and you can't see them until they are within a couple of feet. I've been out in the middle of massive feeding frenzies(20+ sharks) and seen them just hanging out near the bottom on clear days and running into ankle deep water then flopping themselves back out to sea.

They don't cruise around with their dorsal fin out of the water hunting. They run in from deeper water and hit the schools of fish hard, thrash around, and then disappear. I've had sharks as long as my surfboard nail fish within inches of me and turn on a dime.

They know what they're doing, if they wanted us we couldn't do a thing about it. But they don't care about us, and most flee from our sight.

OK guys! Thanks for all of your advice! I am back from the Bahamas and... Well, I saw my first shark. And It wasn't at all like what I had expected. It was my 2nd dive of the week (I did 5 in total) and was hanging out at the surface, We were getting things together, some friends were snorkeling... and I had my head in the water checking things out. THERE I saw it! a small black tip about 15 feet away from me in about 10 feet of water. I popped my head out of the water and exclaimed Shark, with the biggest grin on my face, then popped my head back in the water and watched it haul away. It wanted nothing to do with us. My dive buddy was so happy with me, And PHEW, it was going the other direction. There was a snorkeler with us who was terrified of sharks, and I pointed it out to her, and I think it relieved some of her nerves of the Gigantic beasts we had in our heads.

I made a little slide show of my dives. I used a film camera, with a water proof case, (about $35 at WalMart) The picks weren't too shabby- Enjoy!

http://www75.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php?instanceid=28490005

I am too lazy to read the entire thread but I'll guess that most say the same thing. Let me chime in with one more repeat of the sharks are generally not a threat. I don't want to say they are not dangerous because anything with those teeth is dangerous. I have been diving in the Bahamas with sharks and it is AWSOME. They are incredibly beautiful and it will be your best memory of the dive. Aside from the sharks most dives in the Bahamas are like looking at a fish tank. Truth is those dang Barracudas make me way more nervous than the sharks do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom