Fear of Sharks, I am not gonna see them, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo:
Shark attack facts generally don't have any greater effect on shark phobia than airline accident facts have on flying phobia. This is because phobias are by definition irrational and therefore largely impervious to the reason and the truth.

Do you have any words of advice for the flying phobia too? heh heh

In all seriousness, thanks, The artical was helpful. I know how to react instead of just being fearfull.

Walter:
Not exactly true.

According to the International Shark Attack File:
Of the 11 sharks specifically mentioned in the above paragraph, three (Bull, Caribbean Reef & Blacktip) are ones you're likely to see diving in the Bahamas. If you look at their section on attacks on divers, you'll find 27 species listed.
I'm philosophically opposed to this practice. While you are probably safe enough during the feed, what about the next guy who has to fish for the shark? Teaching large predators to associate humans with food is a very bad idea.

I think I've messed up quoting your quote here Walter but I think we just have a different definition of worth worrying about :D . The 27 species listed as having attacked include a number of wobbegongs, nurse shark and small reef sharks. The "maybe 6" I referred to worrying about were the ones I think of as actually having the potential to regard me as prey/food as opposed to bite me for other some reason.

Point taken on the food source point re feeding and I respect your objection. I'd not be keen on a feed where a diver is "providing food" identifiably as opposed to one where divers and sharks are in the water and a big block of food is introduced; ie chumsicle is preferred to dm with food on a stick/in hands but thats just where I draw the line.

kaliklove:
Still pretty nervous, but I feel more informed. I think I am most scared to be descending and see a shark. You guys have given me a wealth of information, now I need to start preparing

My instructor was diving Galapagos two years ago and when she did her backroll entry she thought she bumped the diver next to her. When she looked down she realized she didn't bump a diver, she had landed on a shark. She said she was really hoping she didn't make it angry :11: luckily it went on its way. I believe she said it was a Galapagos shark but my memory is a bit foggy.
Ber :lilbunny:

kaliklove:
Still pretty nervous, but I feel more informed. I think I am most scared to be descending and see a shark.

You remind me of one of my former students. As we approached her checkout dives she told me if I saw a shark, not to point it out, she didn't want to see it. I told her chances of seeing one were extremely small, we went over signs for "calm" and "breathe deeply."

On her first dive, as we were descending, I looked to my left and saw an 8 ft shark. I signaled "calm" to her, then "OK." She responded with "calm" and "OK." I then signaled "shark" and pointed. She was not scared at all, but instead was thrilled to be able to see it.

isurus:
I think we just have a different definition of worth worrying about .

I've never worried about any of them unless they act aggressively. That's extremely rare. I will get out of the water if a Bull leaves the area and then returns even if he keeps his distance.

Can't blame you for that. How many have you seen? How many of them acted aggressively toward you?

Only 3 tigers, of which only 1 acted inquisitively. Ultimately they all shot off. As I say I know the chances of harm are infintisimely small but the combination of "wow, a tiger, sweet!" and "that's longer tham my car" and the knowledge of what it could do (in the unlikely event it chose to) is enough to give me quite the adrenalin rush.

Presumably you lucky florida chaps get to see a fair few of these, bulls and mokarran?

isurus:
"that's longer tham my car"

Get a bigger car :D

*sorry, couldn't resist :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

isurus:
Only 3 tigers, of which only 1 acted inquisitively.

Which is a big difference from being aggressive.

isurus:
Presumably you lucky florida chaps get to see a fair few of these, bulls and mokarran?

Nope. I've never knowingly been in the water with either a Tiger or a Hammerhead. I dive in areas where I know they are found, but I've never seen one. We saw a couple big Bulls about a month ago. That was an adrenalin rush. I see more Caribbean Reefs than anything except Nurse Sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom