Feature request - 15 feet last stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that it means a lot but I assumed he was talking about min last stop depth. I thought that because for safety stop I think none 3 min 5 min or the third setting that auto decides the time. 20 ft 10 ft I have always asssumed to be the last shallow stop prior to surface. What I have not thought of is what happens if you turn safety stop off. what does that do in deco as far as this posters concern goes? It may not be an issue at all if the SS function is ignored while in deco.

What I do not understand is how changing that setting makes a difference. You will off-gas at 15 feet at the rate you of-gas at 15 feet, whatever you are breathing. How do you benefit from having the setting at 15 feet rather than at 10 feet?

JUST A GUESS BUT ,,,,,,, TTS is a calculation and is based on set assumptions in this case 20 or 10 ft. I would think that it should auto update for moment to moment conditions and become eventually a moot issue depending on DC maker.

Ah ok, missed that lol
I'm just a noobie but doesn't the computer tell you when and where your deco stops are? Safety stop settings are 20 and 10 feet right?
No 20 AND 10 are the last allowed deco depths for calculation prupose. My puter If i am not mistaken has safety stop setitng of on/off 3 min 5 min or auto which decides based on $ of ndl used and depth of dive. Also keep in mind that IMO all deco rules are metric based. Americans are lazy and the numbers are rounded, for instance ascent rate is 1 atm per minute and not 30 ft. SS is I think 6 m and not 20 ft. ascent stops are 3 m increments and not 10 ft. use of imperial measurements often is a hidden bit of conservatism in the system.

I want to see a true to surface time, to a minute.
These are known as Suunto minutes. They are slightly flexible. Personally I set my computer to 3m and understand the stops will be a bit longer. The richer the gas the less important that is.

What I do not understand is how changing that setting makes a difference. You will off-gas at 15 feet at the rate you of-gas at 15 feet, whatever you are breathing. How do you benefit from having the setting at 15 feet rather than at 10 feet?

Changes the predicted calculations like surfGF TTS ( all values in the future) and other things because of availability of use. I dont understand however the concern about it being critical.

this may be off topic a bit but isnt 10 ft for a SS a bit risky for a rec computer and the rec diver? doing a dive at 60 ft and being saturated at the depth and in 1 min going to 20 ft,,,, is going form 3 atm to 1.5 atm . pushing the limits of the 2:1 ratio. going to 10 feet with out a very slow ascent to 10 ft puts you well over the 2:1. sounds pretty risky for that option to be given to a new OW with no quality depth control.

Feel like 20 feet and then 10 is limiting. Can we have 15?
set it at 10 and do whta the environment demands. I use a shearwater and have at my disposal instant dynamic tissue loading graphs plus gf99 and gf surface. If necessary,,,,, with those I dont need any deco program telling me where and how long to stop. try using it if you have one to determine when you can end your SS based on surf GF value. Pardon my view but , 3-5 minute rules are global one rule fits all BS. the GF is live and specific data compared to the OW taught SS rules.

The time of total decompression will not be true.

Are you concerned that the numbers will be in error? teh numbers are hypothetical values if certain other things are complied with like the 20-10 setting. when the dive is over I would think you would only have real historic info and that the calculated data is no longer available or applicable.

JUST A GUESS BUT ,,,,,,, TTS is a calculation and is based on set assumptions in this case 20 or 10 ft. I would think that it should auto update for moment to moment conditions and become eventually a moot issue depending on DC maker.
The computer makes its calculations based upon your current pressure.

What do you think would happen if the computer told me to follow a certain deco profile starting at 70 feet, but I jstu stayed at 70 feet. Do you think it would go through all of its planned stops and then tell me my deco was clear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom