February Training day one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The first day of training went very well.

0800 everyone is at the Marine building. We shoot the bull and play around on the new barge for a while. Lots of neat ideas surfaced about it and everyone is excited we have it.

Around 0900 we head for Hayden Lake and find more ice than we wanted. But a few passes with the jet boat opened up the area.

First off everyone did basic skills in 10 feet of 37df water. Off with the mask, off and on with the BC, share air several ways and free any buoyant assents. Everyone did very good, better than I thought in the cold water.

Then some line searching with new bodies. They also did better than expected and caught on quickly.

Mexican food was next in line.

Back at the lake we set up a rope course with 3 150’ legs. One of three of us would observe one diver at a time. They had to maneuver along the line and make two 90-degree turns. They had a short piece of line attached to the main line. At each turn they had to undo it, move it past the anchor and continue to the end.

Sound easy? They had foil in their mask to black it out and the attending diver kept fouling them with rope, fishing line, and some pipe debris on the bottom.

Everyone had so much fun they did it again. I was very proud of the team. They kept their cool, took charge of the task put before them and continued to the end without hesitation.

What they didn’t realize is two of us had agreed that the better they did the rougher we would make it. A couple of the guys got a treatment that would make Navy Dive Training seem easy. But they were like the little engine that could and they did.

The last one was so efficient at it that he was clipped to a 90# cement anchor. It didn’t take him long to figure out he couldn’t get free, but he could move the anchor. He packed that thing the full 150’ leg right to the ending point as if the anchor wasn’t there. The average time for everyone was 10 minutes give or take a couple. Anchor boy did it in 14 minutes and he never realized that when he started moving the anchor we had already unhooked him. Had he noticed he was free we would have just re-hooked him :D

Maximum depth was only 15’. That shallow depth was so anyone having a buoyancy issue could work on it.

Everyone had a ball and wants more of what we did today. Ask and you shall receive. Tomorrow is more of a play day and not as intense as today was. Next month it will be the gear in the bay drills.

Took some pics and I’ll post them when they come back.

Gary D.

Sounds dangerous - the Mexican food that is. :11:

Great report. Makes me realize the level of training your team has, which, as a local diver, I appreciate. I do my rescue class OW work this Sat, and I'll bet the instructor doesn't foil up our masks and hook 90#s to us!
Maybe tomorrow I'll take a long lunch and come watch the fun.
BTW, does each diver purchase his/her own gear? What are the gear requirements (my guess from talking to you is Sherwood regs)?

Rick Inman:
Sounds dangerous - the Mexican food that is. :11:

Great report. Makes me realize the level of training your team has, which, as a local diver, I appreciate. I do my rescue class OW work this Sat, and I'll bet the instructor doesn't foil up our masks and hook 90#s to us!
Maybe tomorrow I'll take a long lunch and come watch the fun.
BTW, does each diver purchase his/her own gear? What are the gear requirements (my guess from talking to you is Sherwood regs)?
The department buys almost everything. I spent $197.00 todays at Tom's just for just little stuff. Extra mask straps, Extra fin straps and connectors and pump silicon.

DUI and Whites suits, mainly DUI. Sherwood regs, Zeagle Tech BC's, Mostly Cressi Frog's for fins. Everyone wears a weight belt very little weight goes into the BC if anything.

We are sending our DUI's back, two at a time, for rebuilds due to them being in the ten year old range. DUI said that what we use them for and their age figure on around $480.00 each for a rebuild. OK cheaper than new suits. We just got a call from them and I'm thinking OH Poo what wrong. The bill is $180.00 each. They were surprised as to the shape they were in. They get used but not abused. It sure shows that a little care can go a long way.

In the afternoon we should be at 11th St. Hit my cell if the boss lets you out. :D 818-5491

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom