feedback on Atomic regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is the jet seat upgrade. They are doing it for free because of my problems with the local dealer.

There main concern was that the regulator was harder to breathe after the local dealer service and they were more than a bit surprised that my local dealer charged me more than what they charge.

mech once bubbled...
As much as I like my Atomic I'm thinking that the next regulator I buy for me or the family will be Apecs (sp?) because titanium and oxygen over 30% (I believe) is not a good mix.
I believe than regular nitrox is not an issue but more than that is not a good thing.There are also other issues like cleaning and prep w/viton.

First of all, it's Apeks. :)

Atomic states that all their regulators are good for use up to 40% Nitrox, out of the box. For recreational diving, 40% is the highest you'll ever be using, so this is quite enough. Even the fully titanium T1.

If, on the other hand, you will be doing technical diving with high O2 deco gasses, then you will need to use >40% mixes. In this case, Atomic wants you to use the M1, which they say is good for 80% O2, out of the box. This is the company line.

Now, as for the materials, the T1, is fully titanium, except for the stainless steel spring and piston in the first stage. All the metal components in the second stage are also titanium. The B1, has the same second stage, but the first stage is all brass, except for the stainless steel spring (same as T1) and the stainless steel piston. The Z1, has the same materials as in the B1 in the first stage, but just replaces the Titanium body of the second stage with zirconium/palladium plated brass. The M1, has exactly the same first stage as the B1, but has a piston that is made of monel instead of stainless steel. The second stage of the M1 is the same as the Z1, but has a stainless steel orifice instead of the titanium orifice. AFAIK, all soft parts(o-rings, etc.) are identical, O2 compatible, and only O2 compatible lube is used.

For all, the second stage spring and spring lever are made of titanium. But those are all in ambient pressure.

In the B1, the titanium second stage barrel and orifice contact the LP side. In the Z1, the titanium orifice contacts the LP side. I don't think this is a problem, as someone else also said, but don't take my word for it.

I suspect that the reason Atomic changed the piston to monel on the M1 is that stainless steel generates sparks relatively easily, and also can burn in 1500psi O2 if heat is applied (I heard it from someone on Scubaboard). Although Atomic says only 80% for the M1, I have a feeling it's for liability reasons, and it should be safer on 100% than most O2 compatible regs out there, as it is the only regulator using monel(highly O2 resistant) for that part.

I am currently looking into whether I can get a monel piston retrofit to a B1 or Z1 first stage. If so, I think it should be good for 100% once cleaned, as it will be identical to the M1 first stage.
As for the second stage, switching the Ti orifice of a Z1 to the SS one used in the M1 will make it identical to the M1. (Although I'm inclined to believe it's probably not a problem, even with a fully Ti second stage like the B1.)

ronrosa once bubbled...
Yes, it is the jet seat upgrade. They are doing it for free because of my problems with the local dealer.

There main concern was that the regulator was harder to breathe after the local dealer service and they were more than a bit surprised that my local dealer charged me more than what they charge.

Wow. You got yourself an amazing deal. Good to hear that Atomic took care of you.

(1) T-1 T-2 with jet seat for single tank set up.
(2) B1 T-2 with jet seat for doubles.
(1) B-1 T-2 'old style' seat for stage reg.

I've Been using atomics for about 5 years now, and still completely satisfied. Definitely the most 'natural' breathing reg I've found. I've noticed that my Scubapro regs breathe just a tiny bit better in shallow water, say 15 feet and less, (it may just be me) but beyond that, Atomic is great. The jet seat upgrade makes a difference too.

At first, I had them serviced at the shop where I worked, only to find out the tec was a bumbling idiot. Eventually, I became a tec and now do all my overhauls myself. I learned how straight from Jeff Allen at Atomic. He's a really great guy, and his customer service is the best!

I don't have the sheet in front of me, but as I recall, the 1st and 2nd service kit costs the shop about $18. Probably less in quantity. I think it is ludicrous for a shop to charge retail for the kit, in addition to the labor for the overhaul. It takes less than an hour to overhaul a first and second stage, and really do a nice job, assuming there isn't any heavy cleaning to do. If they are charging more than about $75 for the whole job, parts included, they are ripping you off.

As I remember, you can send it to Atomic for an overhaul for about that much, and be completely assured it was done perfectly.
As far as Nitrox / O2 The official party line is 40 percent, 80% for the Monel reg. It works for me, I only use my atomic stage reg with mixes of 36% and less. When I use 100%, I use a Scubapro MarkII Which works fine, as I don't use it deeper than 20'

Thanks everyone for the information.

So:

- my regulator performed worse after LDS service
- the LDS mislead me by almost doubling their written quote after pickup.
- the shop ripped me off by written quoting me $75 labor plus parts at drop off and charging me $145 at pickup for service kit parts.

If you live in New York City I have the name of a dive shop to avoid.

I'm just not sold on servicing a good working regulator and would rather do a shallow check out dive than to send one in.
I have rebuilt and modified numerous industrial regulators and you know what? There are only about 9 parts in them and not everyone who services scuba regulators is qualified to do this.
One of my instructors has over 3k dives and he even brought up the parts count and quality of technicians to the class when some one asked about regulator sevice intervals.
I wouldn't have one serviced unless it was hard to breath or slurried water and if and when I did I would want to know the person that did it.
I'm sure I'm in a minority with my beliefs on this and some LDS guy will no doubt argue this point but due to stories like yours,the fact that I know regulators and that my buddy who is very mechanicaly inclined agrees makes me not hesitate with my stance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom