Feedback on Intova Mini Torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarfish64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for an affordable pocket size dive torch that can also be used as a focus light for photography. Google has brought me to the Intova mini torch as a serious contender, but I have a couple of questions and would appreciate some input from people with 'real life' experience.

1. I read a 'Diver' magazine review (usually fairly trustworthy in my experience) that said the push button switch becomes unreliable under the increased pressure at depth (38m was quoted). Can anyone confirm or contradict this? It is inevitable that a board like this is mostly about 'problems' but there seem to be quite a few that are switch related. To be fair, Intova seem very responsive when these have occurred but I would be interested to hear from anyone that has run one of these torches for a while with no issues at all

2. Has anyone used it as a camera focus light? I know it doesn't have auto-shut off when the strobe fires (which would make it very close to perfect, on paper at least) but is the beam sufficiently 'even' to not leave a visible 'hotspot' on the photo?

Thanks for looking...

Hi Guitarfish64,

Please allow me to address your 2 concerns.

1) Earlier versions of our push button switch were problematic inseveral ways. This led us to completely redesign the PCB and the result hasbeen far more reliable switches.
2) We designed and promote this for video use because it has a verywide and even beam angle. It will not have the auto off, as noted, butotherwise is a great photo/videography tool.

Regards,
Joe Ganahl

I have one because I needed a light one day while on a trip a year or so ago, and an overpriced Intova Mini was the only remotely OK option the shop had in stock. So far, I've been pleased with its reliability and brightness, and it does have a double O-ring on the tail cap. Mine sees a lot of use around 35-40 meters and has never had any switch problems.

Caution: there has been good deal of thread wear/grinding from day one when putting the tail cap back on, despite very careful reassembly. Partly, this is due to having to engage the threads while the assembly is under spring pressure; partly, it's due to sub-optimal design/execution (overly sharp angles on the aluminum to aluminum threads). But aside from having to make sure you get the threads just so when screwing the cap back on, and obsessively cleaning/lubing the O-rings when doing so (watch out for aluminum shavings!), it's been a good light.

I haven't used mine as a focus light, but I love how bright it is for its size. I always carry it in my BCD pocket and it makes a great backup light. Best of all, the customer service cannot be better. I had one of those older bad switches, and Intova sent an email (on this forum) and called me. Without having to send pictures, or even returning the flooded switch, they sent me out a replacement very quickly. That alone will keep me coming back as a lifelong customer.

:cheers:
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom