Feedback on where to place weight for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neevo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had my first drysuit dive on the weekend and discovered you need a lot more weight vs a 7mm semi dry. In the end I had 12.6kg on me and I reckon that was borderline if I'd finished the dive with a 50 bar. I had 10kg on my weight belt (very uncomfortable) and 2 x 3lbs (1.3kg each I think) in my BCD pockets.

Keen to get some ideas on 1) if I have my weighting ideas correct 2) ideas for stashing weight around the BCD vs weight belt.

I did a weight test in the water at the end of the dive (Faber 12.2kg with 120 bar) and with some air in the drysuit and the BCD empty I found I could not stay down with 11.3kg, but 12.6kg was fine. Reading up on the Faber 12.2kg it is 4.5lbs (2.2kg approx.) from full to empty, so it appears that around 13kg might be perfect however not much margin for error. I don't plan on finishing the dive at 1.5m though, so I should be good to dive with that at 3-5m at the end of a dive, plus the 50 bar finish would also afford some margin.

Therefore I am looking for options to get 13kg spread around myself and talk as much off the BCD as possible.

I have an AP Diving Buddy Commando (old model without integrated weight pockets). My thoughts were to see if I could get 6kg on the tank (in 4 weight pockets tucked up against the BCD on the cam band; 2 on each side) and the balance of 7kg in the weight belt. Thoughts?

On the tank works nicely, I like how you are thinking. Just make sure you have enough quickly detachable to dump in order gain positive buoyancy, especially if your suit floods. A mix between fixed weights and a lweight belt is a popular solution for a few buddies.

How thick are your undergarments for the drysuit. It's possible during your first dive you over inflated your drysuit and after a few dives you'll find the optimum weighting is significantly less. (A blind guess but that's how it was for me)

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:
If your BC has the slots for another camband, consider adding one. This way, you can an a weight pocket on each side (as opposed to two on each side of a single camband, as you suggest). Benefits include spreading the weight across your back (as opposed to having high on one camband and low on your belt), spreading across two cmbands might also make it easier as not a lot or room to have 4 on one camband, lastly always nice to have your tank securely attached to your bc (at multiple points) leading to less slipping a firm positioning.

I had tight polypro undergarments and also used the Scubapro Climatec fleece undergarment (supposed to be a light weight option for Neoprene DS'). I was quite conscious of not putting too much air in the suit so that I could try and control my buoyancy with the BCD still, but it was a little easier in the end to use the suit. I could feel when I had a bit too much air as my feet would inflate a little, so I tried to minimise that as much as possible, however that's not to say I didn't have a bit too much air in the suit when I did my buoyancy check (I did put a good dump of air in it and emptied the BCD to try and simulate the end of a dive)

The drysuit is also a Scubapro, tight wetsuit type drysuit; EverDry 4.

I was pretty comfortable the whole dive... other than a cold left wrist.

Turns out I had some water ingress at each wrist and on my chest, not sure if I have issues with the seals, or if I didn't don the suit properly.

If your BC has the slots for another camband, consider adding one. This way, you can an a weight pocket on each side (as opposed to two on each side of a single camband, as you suggest). Benefits include spreading the weight across your back (as opposed to having high on one camband and low on your belt), spreading across two cmbands might also make it easier as not a lot or room to have 4 on one camband, lastly always nice to have your tank securely attached to your bc (at multiple points) leading to less slipping a firm positioning.

That's a good point grey goose. I'm not sure my pre 2007 Buddy Commando allows for 2 cam bands, so I might aim for 2 pockets only on the tank band and look for other options to take some more off the weight belt. A couple of options are:

1) put some weight in the BCD pockets? I have d rings in the pockets so I could get away with maybe 1.5kg in each pocket which would be away from the belt easily. But I don't like the idea of the pockets taking the weight for extended periods as I worry it may damage the BCD in the long run.
2) look to add a couple of extra pockets to the BCD main strap/cummabund. Worried it may interfere with the weight pocket though.

Ok I have some ideas. Thinking of getting a couple of weight pockets that can attach to the inner sections of the cam band, maybe get 2x 1.5kg weights here:

IMG_2329.JPG

Then I'm thinking of adding a couple of weights to the lower rear side of the plastic backplate of the Commando (on the webbing that runs around the back). Attached to the buckle band and either straights weights or again a couple of slim weight pockets. Don't think I'll get big weights in here but hopefully if I could squeeze another 1kg each (total up to 5kg):

IMG_2327.JPG

That leaves 8kg for the belt, which isn't a huge reduction from the 10kg I had before but should move me in the right direction.

The alternative is to find a big flat 3kg weight for behind the backplate, then maybe a couple of 1kgs in the pockets which would only leave 5kg for the belt.

Options, options.

Anyone think my plan is going to be a trim disaster?

you said the belt was uncomfortable, perhaps a weight harness?

okay, I'll say it.... and this adds to why, with a dry suit, many consider a BP/W as a steel one is around -6# while a jacket likely is positively buoyant

YMMV

Last edited:
back when we dove "aluminum z-bottles" (aka - cork bottles), we would add a small diameter weight belt to the tank. As you only have one cam band, this might be an option to you to get some weight "forward", so it isn't all around your waist.

you said the belt was uncomfortable, perhaps a weight harness?

okay, I'll say it.... and this adds to why, with a dry suit, many consider a BP/W as a steel one is around -6# while a jacket likely is positively buoyant

YMMV

The harness seems like a smarter move. Same weight but better distributed and the lower back pain is managed a bit across the back and shoulders a bit more.

Ultimately I'll build a BP/W I think as the SS plate makes a big difference too.

FWIW, I have made my own harness with webbing suspenders, a weight belt, XS Scuba pouches, and a bunch of tri-glides to hold it together (think I sourced it all from LeisurePro - probably $50 more or less). Wife dove it after her belt slipped off her hips one time. The DUI one is nice with the quick release pulls and all the adjustability on the fly, but honestly it is $$$, the and XS pockets are also available as quick dump models with a pull tab too. You can also attach weight to the chest (like some side mount guys do) to keep horizontal. An ankle weight at the tank neck also helps with trim.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom