female share Raja Ampat 2024 Christmas trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you to point this out! May I know which wooden hulled LOB are less noisy? I read several threads about LOB in raja ampat, peope recommend steel hulled for stability, quiet engine sound and no diesel smell. I didn't feel any sea sickness in my previous trips , so I ok with the size of LOB, but sound and smell are big concern for me...
Dived off two wooden LOBs in Indonesia, one fairly new was OK but the other older one had hot oil/diesel fumes through lower deck cabins so bad by Night 2 we slept on the deck in the fresh air for the rest of the trip.. far more pleasant!
Operator claimed they’d fixed the issue after complaints on the previous cruise but the smell never left 🤷🏻‍♂️
With modern HVAC, isolated engine mounts and NVH insulation a modern steel hulled boat should be quiet.
MV Febrina was looking pretty tired and long overdue for a refit so I’d say it may have been engine mount related?

thank you! which cabin did you stay? I am considering stay in the lower deck but worry the engine may be too loud ...
I stayed in C1 on the top deck - I'd choose top or main, if possible (I don't like lower level on boats in the event of a fire). I never had any issues with noise - it was a pretty quiet boat and the loudest thing was the anchor drop!

Dived off two wooden LOBs in Indonesia, one fairly new was OK but the other older one had hot oil/diesel fumes through lower deck cabins so bad by Night 2 we slept on the deck in the fresh air for the rest of the trip.. far more pleasant!
Operator claimed they’d fixed the issue after complaints on the previous cruise but the smell never left 🤷🏻‍♂️
With modern HVAC, isolated engine mounts and NVH insulation a modern steel hulled boat should be quiet.
MV Febrina was looking pretty tired and long overdue for a refit so I’d say it may have been engine mount related?
May I know the name of two wooden LOBs you stayed before?

I stayed in C1 on the top deck - I'd choose top or main, if possible (I don't like lower level on boats in the event of a fire). I never had any issues with noise - it was a pretty quiet boat and the loudest thing was the anchor drop!
ah yeah, that's good point, reminds me of the fire on santa cruz diveboat 4 years ago...

May I know the name of two wooden LOBs you stayed before?
Divine Diving was the operator of the boat affected Weta Molas (Beautiful Sister) ... a small traditionally styled LOB vessel running short to medium length dive trips to Komodo-Rinca out of LBJ. Will have to dig up my journal for the other one, but was another small LOB working day trips around cruises.
Only had a limited time off work so for a less than Grand Tour, Divine Diving was very good.
Sleeping on the deck sounds bad but it was actually quite comfortable... this trip was 2016, they must have fixed the issue as all other reviews on TripAdvisor don't mention it other than oblique references to somewhat stuffy cramped cabins and sleeping on the deck being an attractive option!
chill-out-area-on-weta.jpggili-lawa-darat-bathed.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom