Female TecRec BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After researching, and trying a BC and then a BP/harness out.... go with the BP/harness. You'll enjoy it.

I have a SS & 55# wing, use twin steel 85's so there's no need for any extra weights. Have enough d-rings to clip on what I need - slim line spg, HID, lift bag.

My wife dives a short version of a FredT backplate. Loves it. We spent quite a bit of time, rewebbing mine and webbing hers in the same colors with the same gear. She was concerned about the straps digging in, but that went away after the first dive...

Of the ones you mentioned, she was closest to chosing the Libra or the Zeagle Zena. Really loved the fit of both...

YMMV

Buy a backplate/harness and wing. You will have the ability to change the wing for use with different sizes of tanks. If you are serious about going the tech route, this is the only way to fly. If you just want to look cool.....

Since you have posted this is two forums, and for some strange reason we're having problems merging threads...

this thread will be closed, and I respectfully request all interested folks go to This thread to help out this member...

Thanks

I agree completely with what everyone has been saying. The Raider is too bulky and complex. The problems with the Libra and the LadyHawk is the lack of D-rings and attachment points. I guess manufacturers do not believe women require a BC with the same functionality as men need.

My first recommendation is a BP and wing. Either the OxyCheq or Halcyon wings are great. You won't be sorry or regret a BP and wing. Very modular and can be tailored for any diving condition. In addition, the Halcyon set-up will allow you to mount up to 30lbs on the harness for weight intergration.

The Transplate or OMS IQ is another option that I would recommend secondly. I would stay away from the TransPack. I have used it in the past and was never really satisfied with the set-up or modularity.

Go with a BP and wing and you won't be sorry. Then as you progress, change diving styles or go to different environments, the same BC will work.

Dale

I have a PRO-QD that was my first BC. I still use it when diving single 80s sometimes but that's about it. It _CAN_ and has handled a single 110 (not well, but it did) and an AL40 sling (again, not all that well). I used it for advanced nitrox & deco procedures but it was an issue.

I don't think I'd ever try putting doubles on it even though it's supposed to be able to do it. The backplate IS plastic and I've heard of people cracking them with doubles mounted.

I now have a trans-pac-II with a dual-rec wing for doubles and a "travel" wing for single 80s so I only need to take the one harness on trips with lots of different types of diving scheduled. I find the trans-pac to be very comfortable and stable if its setup correctly. I have the optional weight pockets installed and use them. I use trim weights attached directly to the backpannel for preference as this lets me use the side pockets to hold stuff but I do put lead in them on trips as I don't want to cary the trim weights with me and can't always rent them.

The TP-II is available in lots of sizes so you should be able to get one that fits you. I have a chest strap on mine though and I find it's not quite as stable without it. That may make it less comfortable for a woman to wear it. It may be OK without the strap if the shoulder straps are tightened down more than I have them but then I think it could be harder to put it on. If you are considering getting one, make sure you try it before you buy it to be sure it's comfortable in the water.

Make sure to ask about the lift capacity with whatever you get. I was looking for a "transitional" bcd ( from rec to tec) and almost made a bad decision. I told the dive shop what my intentions were and they tried to sell me a bc with only 16 lbs. of lift. I have a "transitional" bcd now, with 50 lbs. of lift. It works for my st 120 and 30 pony, with my drysuit, but I now know it isn't ideal.

Most of the rec bcd's you listed don't have more than 30-35 lbs. lift. Today, I'd go back pack style, like what is stated on the bbs.

If you can, try out what you're intersted in wearing your full gear, if not in a pool, at least while walking around the shop.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom