FENZI repairs/maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilgamesh

New
Reaction score
I've got a Fenzi that is still in great condition. But I'd like to get the bottle VIP's and, if necessary, "hydro-ed."

Questions:

1. Does anybody know where this can be done?
2. Is the company still in existence? I know the French were using Fenzis until not too long ago, quite widely.

Thanks!
Gilgamesh

I VIP them myself. The only difficult thing is that you need a pipe vise to hold the tank since it has tapered threads.

Any LDS can VIP for you.

To put a wrench on the valve you need to remove the purge push button. Be very careful removing the snap ring that holds this purge button since they can break. You can replace them, but the size is a bit odd (it is obviously metric).

There is no real need to hydro if it passes a good VIP. The codes in the US does not require a hydro for pressure cylinders 2" and smaller. Just make sure the inside is in very good shape.

Many of this bottles have been emptied in service (since there is no gauge) and they have allowed water in them.

Good Luck

Welcome to ScubaBoard
Note: You may want to add some info about your location, etc. It will help in directing you where you could get service, etc.

If you have any doubt about the structural integrity of the cylinder, due to excessive rust or fire, then you should have it hydro for your own protection. Any good hydro facility should be able to hydro test it.

The thing is that if it has been in a fire you should now about it and if it has significant rust it will show during inspection. In either case the tank should be condemned with out the need of a hydro.

If you know the history of the tank and it is clean inside, it should be good.

Last edited:
Hello Luis,
Thanks a lot for the info re vip for Fenzy bottle. I'd really like to have a vip - don't have tools, etc myself, and not so experienced at judging condition. But I am in Japan, and have been unable to find a shop that will do it. Where can I ship it, who can I contact?

One problem is that you can’t ship (by air) a pressure vessel with the valve on, at least you are not supposed to. I also doubt that a good dive shop will ship it back with the valve on. As far as I know, the only way to ship a pressure vessel with the valve on is by ground (surface) shipping, which doesn’t seem practical from Japan.

I realize the regulations are not necessarily the same in Japan, but I believe this applies and it certainly does if you what to send it to the US and many other places.

If you are diving with the Fenzy, IMO, you should either get the necessary tools and knowledge to inspect the inside of the tank or you should find a local dive shop that can help you.

Since there is no way to monitor the amount of air left in the cylinder, it is very possible to totally empty the cylinder during a dive and get moisture in it. I would open and inspect the cylinder if it was ever empty. I would also inspect it at least every year, but maybe even more often.

There are several vintage equipment divers in Japan that may be able to help you find a good friendly dive shop. Here is at least one thread from a vintage equipment diver in Japan:
Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - Our Friend in Japan

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom