few random questons re B2 and cobalt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaml

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1. re: B2 high pitched squeal on inhalation (i.e. "the harmonic reasonance between the spring, piston and o-ring")- has there proven to be a sure-fire cure for this? I have read the other threads that suggest : flipping the spring or replacing the piston and spring or that "proper" lubing of the "dynamic" o-ring and reversing the o-ring can solve the issue/ like others who have commented on this issue, my B2 doesn't do it all the time (my wife's B2 doesn't do it all)/ is this a local dive shop repair or should I send my reg to ATOMIC? (my local shop works on ATOMIC)

2. we purchased our B2 regs about 4 years ago (early 2011 we think): how do I determine which year these regs were manufactured? I was looking to purchase sea-cure moldable mouthpieces and its pamphlet wants to know if the regs were built after 2005 (apparently the dimensions of the mouthpiece orifice changed slightly); while I am sure that they were, I noticed 2 sets of numbers on the first stage of the regs (between the 2 HP ports ): CE0299/OAA919 and CE0299/OGA091- can these ID the mfg year?

3. while charging my wife's cobalt (which had just had the magnets changed in the "back" button), I saw a message I had never seen before; usually it reads "charging" but this time it just said "AC connected" and stuck at 94% charged/ I changed out the charger piece and the message went away and quickly charged to 100%; I assume there must be something wrong with the piece that attaches to the computer since I used the same cable;

4. I assume that an SSI ( with the correct attachment) can connect with a Dive rite or zeagle BC?

thanks

Hi Yaml

Thanks for the questions! In regards to them (in order)

1) The only sure fire way to eliminate the harmonic is to have the piston replaced. Occasionally, there is a slight imperfection on the piston edge that can't even be seen under our microscope..When air passes over that imperfection it makes the whistling sound....We can't even reproduce the scenario on our diving machines as temp/pressure have to be perfect. It is quite weird! We simply replace the piston/re-test and send them back. This happen to me as well with my B2 in 2005.

2) If you purchased new B2 regulators 4 years ago, I highly doubt they are from Pre 2005. This being our most popular model, we produce a bunch every month. However, if you want to make sure, or you purchased used, I would need the First stage serial numbers (OGA091 and OAA919) along with their second stage serial number (located under the mouthpiece). I could go into our production files and get the exact date of production. Happy to do so if need be..Just private message me and I will get right back to you.

3) The Cobalts are a different beast and I would have to default to our engineer Adan or Ron Russell on this one to see what exactly is happening there. Can you PM your email address and I can have them answer you directly?

4) Zeagle--Absolutely. This is our sister company and you can even screw the SS1 directly into their already pre-installed Bx Coupler. Regarding Dive Rite, I believe they are also compatible. The SS1 comes with 3 different size adapters and for Dive Rite (last time I checked) they also use a 1" corrugated hose and our 1" adapter fits just fine.

Thanks Yaml!

Kind Regards,

Ryan Kenney
Atomic Aquatics/Huish Outdoors

thanks ryan
1. re: high pitched squeal: so u recommend that I send the reg to ATOMIC to have the problem fixed? (rather than my local dive shop); if so, what is the address of the service location and should I send the reg "attn. to:" a particular person? and do I include a brief comment re the problem?
2. I agree, the regs were made after 2005 so I will buy the seacure mouthpieces under that assumption
3. both my cobalts r charging fine so i'm not going to fix something that isn't broken (I was just curious re that message)
4. thanks

an additional question: my wife's B2 primary second stage "ball-swivel" was leaking a few bubbles during our recent trip to coz; not a major air leak but, in my opinion, any leak at that location is a major leak; so, again, is this an issue that I should send back to ATOMIC to rectify or is this a "fixable" situation by my local shop? personally, I lean toward sending the reg back to ATOMIC/ and, since now it looks like I will be sending "both" of our regs back to ATOMIC (for different reasons) I may have each of them "completely serviced", first and second stages ,re internal and externals since I think it has been a few years since this was last done; (they r both working great but I do strongly believe in preventive maintenance);
I will be interested in reading your reply
again, thanks a lot
yaml

No worries Yaml!

1) You are more than welcome to take into your local shop...we encourage that. If they have a S.S. piston and can swap we would just exchange with them the defective one once the swap was made...However, if they are uncomfortable with this service, as some maybe considering it is hard to detect, give me a call at 714-656-2911 and would be more than happy to arrange the return and get it taken care of.

2) Awesome

3) I agree...electronics are a funny thing and I would not mess with it. However, Ron Russell frequently checks our forums and he is one of the original Cobalt designers. If you need something answered I know he is always willing to help. You can probably find him in one of our Cobalt forums already.

4) :)

5) The swivel hose contains working parts that need to be replaced just like the first and second stage. In fact, in our second stage service kits we have a "swivel hose" service kit as well...They need regular maintenance as do the other parts..especially if it has been longer than 2 years. Local shops can do that service, and should when doing the service on our regs, but we do offer servicing here at the factory as well. Many like to send it to us as we will put the reg, once repaired, onto our dive machine and make sure they perform like a new reg!

Give me a call and we can chat about the servicing/warranty piston if you like...I look forward to speaking with you. We do have some of our BEST dealers in Florida and would happy to also recommend one as well. Just let me know.

Ryan

re. the Cobalt message- it's possible all that happened was that the charging process timed out. The charging chip will gradually decrease the rate of charge as the charge completes, but we also limit the length of time that a charge can take. However in order to really interpret the message we would need to know if this is a Cobalt 1 or 2 and the firmware version, message meanings have changed as the firmware has evolved.

Does the original adapter work if you try it again? AC connected means that it sees positive voltage, but if the adapter were damaged it might prevent charging.

Ron

SS1 works great with DiveRite wings. Between my wife and me, and all the other friends who have copied our setup, that's at least a dozen DiveRite wings with SS1s. The nice thing is you can put a garden hose on to wash out the inside of your wing, and with the new Atomic power inflator, it's easy to change your wing over to use an octo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom