Fiber Optic strobe cables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got a Nikonos SB-105 and a Canon SD630 P&S in a Canon housing - I've seen Fiber optic strobe cables, but how do I know if the cable is compatible with the strobe and camera housing? Or can any of them be Duct taped together to work sortta?

I was considering this one Scuba diving gear Camera Accessories Digital at Scuba.com (inexpensive, so not much lost if it doesn't work)

Thanks, Tim

You can probably DIY with duct tape or some other method but your camera probably has a preflash which is not compatible with the Nikonos 105. The 105 will fire on the preflash and not sync with the main flash. I use a 105 with my Olympus C-8080 but have it connected with a HeinrichWeikemps adaptor so that it sync's correctly and provides TTL exposure as long as the camera is in manual mode.

Here's a site with u/w fiber optic cables I found with google:

fiber optic strobe - Google Product Search

The SB-105 has a slave sensor on its front face. It's not like more current model strobes where provision has been made for attaching an optical fiber cable. You may somehow be able to make an adapter, which attaches to the face of the strobe, but it would interfere with use of a diffuser.

The fiber optic kits usually either tape or velcro a cable socket over the camera's internal strobe or have a mounting bracket with a socket attached to the housing. The strobe end of the cable has a plug of some sort fitted over the slave window.

You may want to try placing a reflective shade directing the camera's strobe up, then see if it will reliably trigger your SB-105 slave trigger underwater. The reason you want to mask the internal strobe is so you can direct the strobe's beam on the subject. Yet illuminating as little of the water column in front of the camera as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom