Fiber optic UW strobe modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmerc

Registered
Reaction score
I have a single strobe (*My set up is with a canon ixus p & s with a single inon strobe and wet macro lenses) for underwater photography. As most of you would know from the forums, a recent technique being discussed among UW photographers is the use of a strobe "snoot" as championed by Keri Wilk. During the process of fine tuning my own basic snoot, it occurred to me that if I could redirect the light energy from my strobe (*and its 2 flash points) I could not only pinpoint it like a snoot but also possibly turn a single strobe into a dual strobe effect. I thought about how the strobe I was using was fired by the on-board flash of the point and shoot camera to a fiber optic cable which sent a signal for the strobe to fire. Why not use fiber optics to split (or redirect) the light intensity to 2 separate arms? Hence the fiber optic project was born. First let me please thank Paul at thefiberopticstore.com for the encouragement and help with this project.

Other than the fiber optic cables, pretty much everything else was found at a local hardware store. Also I have kept this design raw and an inexpensive DIY exercise. I really didn’t want this to cost so much that a second strobe purchase would seem more reasonable given the effort, time and initial cost. For now it works and I am more interested in getting in practice to use it properly (*and produce decent images) instead of worrying about how it looks. Of course there is another positive side to this, people steer clear, parents pull their children in and away from the weirdo walking down the jetty, and I did get a little enjoyment from the first public reaction (*my first dive with this setup was a night dive with very VERY few people around at the site, I was greeted with a: “What the F@#k is that??!” from the big bushy fisherman getting into his car next to me).

As I had hoped, the use underwater and manipulation of the arms worked well. It was not unwieldy, not heavy, nor cumbersome to swim with. Probably the main area I think needs improvement is not with tweaks in the design or construction but with my ability to aim the arms and adjust light output accordingly.

A few pics to share:

Picasa Web Albums - Phil - forum post fo...

Cheers,
Phil
Adelaide, SA

Hey, this thing looks cool and your photos are very nice! Congrats!
You made all of them with your fiberoptic snoot?

Chris

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I had a look around the thefiberopticstore... I can't tell from your picture so do you mind telling us which type of fibre cable did you used?

Yes all the UW photos were taken with the setup.
I have only been out on a few dives with it and I was a little critical of which pics to put on the forums.

For this setup I used their 1.5mm unjacketed end glow cable.
I used a total of 20 strands for each "arm" but I'm sure you could use as many as you wanted. I was a little limited since I wanted to use the loc-line arms and they have an ID that would only allow me to use that number of cables. Also a consideration was the strobe flash points, the dimensions were something like 16x18 mm. At present I have enough light output so I do not think I will be adding more.

Pretty cool craftsmanship and very good pics but what is the advantage ? The same results could have been had without the extra work. Am I missing something ?

Hi Phillybob, Thanks for the comment and question. Given that I am fairly new to uw photography, I have found this much easier to aim than the Snoot option and since the light comes from 2 different directions, it can eliminate shadows similar to having 2 strobes. I have also found this easy to get light into hard to reach places, like one of the clingfish photos where an overhang would have been difficult (*for me at least) to get light on the subject. At this stage I am pleased with the results from the limited number of dives I’ve been able to do with this setup and am in the process of tweaking the setup to deliver better results (*more efficient).

Back
Top Bottom