Fiberglass back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmm maybe i will still make one. i have not asked about borrowing one. i know i can rent gear for free there. have not check if there are any back plates for rent. how long would you have to lay there for that back mold? i can always mack a mold out of plywood. here is a blue print.

Here's a design I've been playing around with. Local places are quoting close to $130 for aluminum. :rofl3:

Platedesign.gif

Would it be possible to do a hand layup molded to your back. You could do the layup on a heavy piece of visqueen plastic film and as you lie face down have a helper place the layup on your back, visqueen side down. After the resin cures, trim to shape and cut out slots and holes.

Sounds like you are trying to re-invent my old Voit Snugpack.

Why waste time making a fiberglass BP when you can buy an aluminum one for $60 (Dive Rite). In the end, I think the FB plate will be about $30, homemade and weigh about the same.

well length of time is not a bad thing. the project would be a blast! just the fun factor.

If you are making it out of fiberglass, why not make to form YOU instead of an exiting plate? I would make one to form my back (with wetsuit on), not someones plate. I would ask a friend handy with fiber, and lay flat and have them put 1 layer of cloth and some quick drying resin on. this way you have a Mold of your back to work with, that conforms to your body perfectly. Once the mold is dry, you can make one mold and many prototypes after that.

Just realize that it will ONLY conform perfectly to your back while you are in the same position that you molded it in. Also, DON"T make a mold using fiberglass. If you want to make a back mold, make it out of plaster. Then lay the fiberglass into the plaster mold. Watch what kind of plaster you use though as it generates a LOT of heat as it cures. There are mixes made specifically for human casting.

well i geting more involved in diving again and am thinken about actualy doing this now. but woundering if it be beter to just buy a plate. i want to built a set like the transplate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom