FIBR trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, we made it to Fantasy Island Beach Resort and back, which, I must say I thought we would never get there with customs. 2 people handling 3 incoming planes doesn't cut it.

FIBR was bit different then I had imagined. I have a bit more open mind then my husband but neither of us would go back any time soon. I understand they are in the middle of restoring and renovating which I can handle. Our room was clean. The grounds we being tended to and the beach was raked daily and cleaned.

Staff was not all that pleasant and one of the girls behind the front desk absolutely knew nothing. eg.. asked her what time we should leave for our 1:30 departure and she said 12:30... himm.... it is 30 minutes away (and it takes about 2 hours to get through customs). Meals were acceptable. Im not there for the food (although I did get a hefty portion of dessert)

Diving: the reef was healthy and we saw many things we have never seen. I am surprised that there is not more fish. I question, with the fishing boats we saw in the harbor, perhaps they have overfished. Saw only a few grouper and no red snapper which were big ticket items on the menu throughout the island. I think our boat captain and DM were burnt out. No interaction, not much help finding things, pointing things out, or helping you get your tank into the slot when coming up from dive. Rarely put out a tag line in 6 foot swells. I am surprised noone was injured. 5 out of 5 boats broke down during 5 days of diving. It got to be the joke. I heard they are getting new, faster boats so they can travel to the other side of the island, but I can not confirm that story.

We made many friends and had a great time during Surface intervals. Fantasy Island has a great potential! If it is true that Roatan is on the fast track to being the next great dive site they need to be competetive. They need to address staffing issues, and invest in preventive maintainance.

Interesting note: they had someone come in during the evening hours, selling beautiful black coral sea animals and dive figurines. When questioned about the black coral he said he was licensed to sell them and he gets the coral from the shrimp boats when it inadvertantly get caught up in the nets...This seems a bit "fishy" (sorry) due to how they grow. It amazes me that they are allowed to harvest and sell with the depletion of black coral in the seas and as a "dive resort" I would think they would be more conscience of marine invironmental issues.

Here is a pic (if I did it right) of a seahorse. My first one I have ever seen. Just beautiful.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, still have jet lag and wanted to get this out!:crafty:
Jill

seahorse_for_email.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I have known Oscar for a long time. He does get the coral from the shrimp and lobster boats. And I know that he is the only person in Honduras with a real government permit to sell it.

He does lovely work and the stuff would just go to waste if he didn't make something wonderful out of it.

With the right DM and operation, the wonderment of the South side becomes quickly evident. You are absolutely spot-on about overfishing. It has eliminated the larger fish- at the same time, a good guide will amaze you with the little critters that inhabit the untouched reef. The North side is seeing a re-growth of larger fish populations with the Marine Reserve. Still, the South side is the "nursery" abundant with little critters, mostly visible only to skilled DM's and those who follow them.

What you say about Roatan being "on the fast track"- it kind of is, or isn't- depending upon your perspective. For many years, 5 All Inclusive dive resorts were the only real providers on the island. Now, many day dive ops that cater to the vacationing crowd have sprung up. What took Cayman 30 years to develop is on an 8 year accelerated schedule on Roatan. It has, in many ways, surged quickly past the undiscovered "next big dive site" and found itself already mired in the problems of the future. btw- When FIBR buys boats and drives to the North side for diving, I'll buy you another trip... and a beer.

And I know that he is the only person in Honduras with a real government permit to sell it. He does lovely work and the stuff would just go to waste if he didn't make something wonderful out of it.

Absolutely the sad fact. But... Don't fight the symptom, fight the disease. Stop eating shrimp.

That said, Oscar is a good man- here is is... 23 years younger :wink:

Attachments

• 34 -04.jpg
    34 -04.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 62
I have known Oscar for a long time. He does get the coral from the shrimp and lobster boats. And I know that he is the only person in Honduras with a real government permit to sell it.

He does lovely work and the stuff would just go to waste if he didn't make something wonderful out of it.

HowieDean,

Wow, I am so surprised. Makes me feel a whole lot better though. Black coral is really becoming depleted and I felt so bad. They were gorgeous esecially the diver!

Jill

Hey there JillGadget,

Next time you are in Roatan, come check out the diving on our side. The water is usually pretty calm and we do see more fish in the marine park. At the end of Spooky Channel you'll be greeted by barracuda Bob and many big groupers. Diving the Aguila wreck you will also be greeted by big groupers, dog snappers, and a resident morray eel. We see turtles pretty regularly within the marine park. At Seaquest I usually see stingrays. West-End wall has lots of life as does Texas, Fish Den, Lighthouse, and Acquario. We usually see schools of Blue Tang and Creole Wrasse.

In terms of the lack of enthusiasm or help from the staff, I'm sorry that happened. You will not get that from me. You shouldn't get that anywhere in the service industry.

We have tons of macro life in the marine park. I don't claim to be the authority on these things, but I do live here, and I'm giving it to you straight. I didn't just visit a decade ago and claim to be the source for all things Roatan.

Hey there JillGadget,

Next time you are in Roatan, come check out the diving on our side. The water is usually pretty calm and we do see more fish in the marine park. quote]

Marcoa,
Oh great, where were you 6 months ago when we booked this?:rofl3: What shop are you affiliated with? I can't believe how rough it was, the same if not worse than the keys during certain months. I can't believe I didn't puke! IAM NO LONGER PUKEGIRL!!!!:rofl3:

When we went to The west end during our SI, we did remark how calm it was. I don't think we will be going back for some time and then we would stay at the West End. My hubby would prefer wrecks over reefs. Although he did appreciate the beauty of Roatan's reef system - it was healthy and beautiful! We saw things we never saw before. My hubby is really good at finding things - he became our scout.

Jill

Sorry you didn't get the warm fuzzies from FIBR that we get ever time we are there. Cant' wait to go back, we are booked for July 10-19.

Yeah, sorry you were disapointed. We had a great time in 2006 when we were there... But things can and do change in resorts... If they keep getting poor reviews by people like you, they are certainly going to loose business! Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom