Figuring for weighting changes with different gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. Just needed a zip code to nail down the address later so to speak. I find myself aligning more and more with a DIR way of diving so I am really looking forward to a BP/W and seeing the changes. Still haven't figured why "they" don't recommend an steel cylinder with a wetsuit (just haven't seen it explained really) but that's small potatoes for now...

I think the no wet steel rule is more with doubles, but don't quote me on that. Since I don't follow any certain doctrine or belong to a "camp" or any particular dogma in diving I pretty much am free to experiment and dive any way I want.
People have been diving steel tanks in wetsuits since diving started. It was fine then and it's fine now.

The concern with steels tanks and wetsuits is the ability to swim your rig up from depth if your wing completely fails.

If you have on a thick wetsuit, it can lose a LOT of buoyancy at depth. Add a tank which is 10 or more pounds negative (as our 130s are at the beginning of the dive) and you could find yourself 30 or more lbs negative and trying to swim to safety.

In a thin wetsuit, you don't have the large buoyancy loss from neoprene, but you still have a negative tank. And if you succeed in getting the tank to the surface, you won't regain much inflation of the neo to make you positive on the surface.

That's the concern about steels and neoprene. I have dived hp100s with a 3 mil suit. You can swim up full 100s.

Thanks for the explanation. I suppose the idea is that with a loss of a BC and dry suit - you can use the dry suit as boyancy which is rudimentarly adjustable where a wetsuit wouldn't be, to help to swim up against the negative weight of steel tanks?

I shed 10 lbs. of lead going from a Zeagle to a SS BP/W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom